Jun 30, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
From FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi comes word that the Orioles have acquired outfielder Eric Thames from the Mariners in exchange for minor league infielder Ty Kelly. Thames has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk, where he will function as organizational outfield depth for Baltimore.
Thames was designated for assignment by Seattle on May 22 to clear a 40-man roster spot for the return of Franklin Gutierrez, who is already back on the disabled list. Thames, a 26-year-old California native, was batting .295/.382/.479 with seven home runs and 33 RBI in 57 games at Triple-A Tacoma when the M’s waived him.
Kelly, a 13th-round pick of the Orioles in 2009, has a .759 career OPS in the minor leagues.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 49
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17