Jun 30, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi comes word that the Orioles have acquired outfielder Eric Thames from the Mariners in exchange for minor league infielder Ty Kelly. Thames has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk, where he will function as organizational outfield depth for Baltimore.
Thames was designated for assignment by Seattle on May 22 to clear a 40-man roster spot for the return of Franklin Gutierrez, who is already back on the disabled list. Thames, a 26-year-old California native, was batting .295/.382/.479 with seven home runs and 33 RBI in 57 games at Triple-A Tacoma when the M’s waived him.
Kelly, a 13th-round pick of the Orioles in 2009, has a .759 career OPS in the minor leagues.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)