Jun 30, 2013, 4:31 PM EST
From FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi comes word that the Orioles have acquired outfielder Eric Thames from the Mariners in exchange for minor league infielder Ty Kelly. Thames has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk, where he will function as organizational outfield depth for Baltimore.
Thames was designated for assignment by Seattle on May 22 to clear a 40-man roster spot for the return of Franklin Gutierrez, who is already back on the disabled list. Thames, a 26-year-old California native, was batting .295/.382/.479 with seven home runs and 33 RBI in 57 games at Triple-A Tacoma when the M’s waived him.
Kelly, a 13th-round pick of the Orioles in 2009, has a .759 career OPS in the minor leagues.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 21
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)