Jun 30, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
As first reported by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Rockies have signed veteran outfielder Xavier Nady to a minor league deal. Nady had been playing for the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, Nebraska but he opted out of that contract early Sunday morning because he saw a better opportunity further west.
Nady was hitting .310/.382/.486 with 11 homers and 43 RBI in 70 games this season with Omaha. He will report to the Rockies’ Triple-A affiliate in Colorado Springs with the goal of eventually reaching Denver.
Nady batted just .184/.253/.316 in 166 plate appearances last year between the Nationals and Giants. The 34-year-old is a .270/.324/.432 career hitter in the major leagues.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)