Jun 30, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
As first reported by FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Rockies have signed veteran outfielder Xavier Nady to a minor league deal. Nady had been playing for the Royals’ Triple-A affiliate in Omaha, Nebraska but he opted out of that contract early Sunday morning because he saw a better opportunity further west.
Nady was hitting .310/.382/.486 with 11 homers and 43 RBI in 70 games this season with Omaha. He will report to the Rockies’ Triple-A affiliate in Colorado Springs with the goal of eventually reaching Denver.
Nady batted just .184/.253/.316 in 166 plate appearances last year between the Nationals and Giants. The 34-year-old is a .270/.324/.432 career hitter in the major leagues.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)