Russell Martin helps Pirates walk off in 14th for ninth consecutive win

Jun 30, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Pittsburgh Pirates Getty Images

After a rain delay halted this afternoon’s series finale between the Pirates and Brewers by nearly two and a half hours, the two teams battled through 14 innings to decide a winner. The Pirates, entering the game with baseball’s best record, walked off in the bottom half of the 14th when Russell Martin snuck a ground ball up the middle, scoring Gaby Sanchez. The victory allowed the Pirates to maintain their MLB-best record at 51-30 and bolster their lead over the second-place Cardinals to two games.

Of all the improbable things that have happened so far — Chris Davis getting to 30 home runs before July and Yasiel Puig logging 44 hits in his first 100 at-bats among them — the Pirates emerging as baseball’s best team through the first three months has to top the list. However, the Pirates know well not to rest on their laurels after what happened in 2011.

1. Stiller43 - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Buccos baby!! Just dont blow it!!!!

2. navyeoddavee9 - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Bullpen has been great all year, still think they need a everyday RF’er.

3. Old Gator - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I still have fundamental ontological questions about this team.

• apkyletexas - Jul 1, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Are you wondering whether or not you exist, Gator? Hint: you don’t. You are merely a figment of Craig Calcaterra’s overactive imagination.

4. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Only 30 more wins til 81 & 31 wins away from 82!! I want to see a winner so bad!!!

5. Stiller43 - Jun 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Pitpenguinz,

With the way theyve closed each of the past couple seasons, i wouldnt say “only.” That could prove to be quite a task!

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Jun 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

@stiller43 I agree that it could be a task but anything is possible. This team just needs to find an everyday right fielder which means they would’ve have to spend the cash/trade someone at the deadline. Hope Hurdle and the team has learned from the last two seasons about how to not choke in the second half. Hurdle is a good coach in my book…he took the Rockies to the World Series in 2007 vs Boston. So he’s capable but can they come out better after the Allstar break. Sure people around here are wishing for playoffs…I know I am…but I’d be more than happy to see a record at or above .500 at seasons end.

• natslady - Jun 30, 2013 at 9:44 PM

That’s the way we felt last year, and look what happened. You have a solid team and you never know–good luck to ya (except vs. the Nats, of course).

7. pensman29 - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Omg it’s a miracle. Never seen a winner and I can only pray this team goes the distance. I feel a little nervous not having a guy bat in the 300′s makes me feel like we live and die by the long ball.

8. e5tolife - Jun 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We live and die by the pitching.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I dunno. Hemoglobin has a big impact on maintaining my existence.

9. breastfedted - Jul 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Sid Bream sucks cock!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4937)