Jun 30, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Cubs outfielder Ryan Sweeney has a fractured left rib, suffered when he crashed into the outfield wall at Safeco Field on Saturday, and will not be able to do any baseball activities for four to six weeks. Sweeney was injured after catching Kendrys Morales’ fly ball for the second out in the third inning.
Sweeney has batted .295/.342/.527 with four home runs and 15 RBI in 121 plate appearances since his May 6 promotion to the major leagues and might have drawn some interest at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline from teams looking for outfield depth.
The 28-year-old signed a minor league deal at the end of spring training after the Red Sox released him.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)