Jun 30, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
The longest current winning streak in the majors belongs to the Pirates (at eight straight games).
The second-longest streak belongs to Anaheim.
Joe Blanton surrendered just three hits over seven innings and shortstop Erick Aybar went 2-for-5 with two RBI as the Angels defeated the Astros 7-2 on Saturday night in Houston for their fifth straight victory. The Angels are now 5-0 on their current road trip and can go 6-0 on a six-game road trip for the first time since 2002 if all goes well on Sunday.
The Angels are 38-43 with a +4 run differential — good for third place in the American League West.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Cubs 5, Mariners 3 (11 innings)
Reds 6, Rangers 4 (11 innings)
Tigers 3, Rays 4 (10 innings)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)