Jun 30, 2013, 8:48 AM EDT
The longest current winning streak in the majors belongs to the Pirates (at eight straight games).
The second-longest streak belongs to Anaheim.
Joe Blanton surrendered just three hits over seven innings and shortstop Erick Aybar went 2-for-5 with two RBI as the Angels defeated the Astros 7-2 on Saturday night in Houston for their fifth straight victory. The Angels are now 5-0 on their current road trip and can go 6-0 on a six-game road trip for the first time since 2002 if all goes well on Sunday.
The Angels are 38-43 with a +4 run differential — good for third place in the American League West.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
Cubs 5, Mariners 3 (11 innings)
Reds 6, Rangers 4 (11 innings)
Tigers 3, Rays 4 (10 innings)
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 1
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 38
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)