Jul 1, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and the Yankees announced that he’ll see his first game action at Single-A tomorrow, which as Calcaterra just noted is one day before “National Pray For A-Rod Day.”
So, you know, congrats on those prayers being answered ahead of time.
Rodriguez is slated to play at least three innings defensively at third base as he comes back from hip surgery, starting the 20-day clock on his rehab stint. Presumably he won’t be giving many updates on his rehab assignment via Twitter.
Setting aside all the drama that comes with basically anything Rodriguez does at this point, the Yankees could certainly use plenty of lineup help and even a significantly diminished A-Rod would be a huge upgrade considering New York’s third basemen have combined to hit .231 with four homers and a .608 OPS in 81 games.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 8
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 37
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)