Jul 1, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and the Yankees announced that he’ll see his first game action at Single-A tomorrow, which as Calcaterra just noted is one day before “National Pray For A-Rod Day.”
So, you know, congrats on those prayers being answered ahead of time.
Rodriguez is slated to play at least three innings defensively at third base as he comes back from hip surgery, starting the 20-day clock on his rehab stint. Presumably he won’t be giving many updates on his rehab assignment via Twitter.
Setting aside all the drama that comes with basically anything Rodriguez does at this point, the Yankees could certainly use plenty of lineup help and even a significantly diminished A-Rod would be a huge upgrade considering New York’s third basemen have combined to hit .231 with four homers and a .608 OPS in 81 games.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17