Jul 1, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and the Yankees announced that he’ll see his first game action at Single-A tomorrow, which as Calcaterra just noted is one day before “National Pray For A-Rod Day.”
So, you know, congrats on those prayers being answered ahead of time.
Rodriguez is slated to play at least three innings defensively at third base as he comes back from hip surgery, starting the 20-day clock on his rehab stint. Presumably he won’t be giving many updates on his rehab assignment via Twitter.
Setting aside all the drama that comes with basically anything Rodriguez does at this point, the Yankees could certainly use plenty of lineup help and even a significantly diminished A-Rod would be a huge upgrade considering New York’s third basemen have combined to hit .231 with four homers and a .608 OPS in 81 games.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)