Jul 1, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment and the Yankees announced that he’ll see his first game action at Single-A tomorrow, which as Calcaterra just noted is one day before “National Pray For A-Rod Day.”
So, you know, congrats on those prayers being answered ahead of time.
Rodriguez is slated to play at least three innings defensively at third base as he comes back from hip surgery, starting the 20-day clock on his rehab stint. Presumably he won’t be giving many updates on his rehab assignment via Twitter.
Setting aside all the drama that comes with basically anything Rodriguez does at this point, the Yankees could certainly use plenty of lineup help and even a significantly diminished A-Rod would be a huge upgrade considering New York’s third basemen have combined to hit .231 with four homers and a .608 OPS in 81 games.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 55
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 27
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)