Jul 1, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jason Beck of MLB.com hears that Sanchez is OK and doesn’t appear to have suffered any serious damage. While that’s good news for the Tigers, no word on when he’ll get back on a mound.
8:10 PM: Troubling development for the Tigers, as James R. Chipman of Scout.com brings word that Anibal Sanchez left his minor league rehab start with High-A Lakeland tonight after he was hit in the left leg with a comebacker. The report was confirmed by Jason Beck of MLB.com.
No word on the severity of the injury or whether Sanchez was simply pulled for precautionary reasons. The 29-year-old has been sidelined since June 15 due to a right shoulder strain, but he was expected to rejoin the Tigers’ rotation this weekend if all went well in tonight’s rehab outing. That timeline could change now.
Sanchez was off to a fantastic start this season prior to his shoulder woes, posting a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 innings across 13 starts.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)