Jul 1, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
UPDATE: Jason Beck of MLB.com hears that Sanchez is OK and doesn’t appear to have suffered any serious damage. While that’s good news for the Tigers, no word on when he’ll get back on a mound.
8:10 PM: Troubling development for the Tigers, as James R. Chipman of Scout.com brings word that Anibal Sanchez left his minor league rehab start with High-A Lakeland tonight after he was hit in the left leg with a comebacker. The report was confirmed by Jason Beck of MLB.com.
No word on the severity of the injury or whether Sanchez was simply pulled for precautionary reasons. The 29-year-old has been sidelined since June 15 due to a right shoulder strain, but he was expected to rejoin the Tigers’ rotation this weekend if all went well in tonight’s rehab outing. That timeline could change now.
Sanchez was off to a fantastic start this season prior to his shoulder woes, posting a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 innings across 13 starts.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (152)
- My imaginary Hall of Fame ballot (90)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (74)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)