Jul 1, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jason Beck of MLB.com hears that Sanchez is OK and doesn’t appear to have suffered any serious damage. While that’s good news for the Tigers, no word on when he’ll get back on a mound.
8:10 PM: Troubling development for the Tigers, as James R. Chipman of Scout.com brings word that Anibal Sanchez left his minor league rehab start with High-A Lakeland tonight after he was hit in the left leg with a comebacker. The report was confirmed by Jason Beck of MLB.com.
No word on the severity of the injury or whether Sanchez was simply pulled for precautionary reasons. The 29-year-old has been sidelined since June 15 due to a right shoulder strain, but he was expected to rejoin the Tigers’ rotation this weekend if all went well in tonight’s rehab outing. That timeline could change now.
Sanchez was off to a fantastic start this season prior to his shoulder woes, posting a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 innings across 13 starts.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)