Jul 1, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jason Beck of MLB.com hears that Sanchez is OK and doesn’t appear to have suffered any serious damage. While that’s good news for the Tigers, no word on when he’ll get back on a mound.
8:10 PM: Troubling development for the Tigers, as James R. Chipman of Scout.com brings word that Anibal Sanchez left his minor league rehab start with High-A Lakeland tonight after he was hit in the left leg with a comebacker. The report was confirmed by Jason Beck of MLB.com.
No word on the severity of the injury or whether Sanchez was simply pulled for precautionary reasons. The 29-year-old has been sidelined since June 15 due to a right shoulder strain, but he was expected to rejoin the Tigers’ rotation this weekend if all went well in tonight’s rehab outing. That timeline could change now.
Sanchez was off to a fantastic start this season prior to his shoulder woes, posting a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 innings across 13 starts.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (150)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)