Jul 1, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jason Beck of MLB.com hears that Sanchez is OK and doesn’t appear to have suffered any serious damage. While that’s good news for the Tigers, no word on when he’ll get back on a mound.
8:10 PM: Troubling development for the Tigers, as James R. Chipman of Scout.com brings word that Anibal Sanchez left his minor league rehab start with High-A Lakeland tonight after he was hit in the left leg with a comebacker. The report was confirmed by Jason Beck of MLB.com.
No word on the severity of the injury or whether Sanchez was simply pulled for precautionary reasons. The 29-year-old has been sidelined since June 15 due to a right shoulder strain, but he was expected to rejoin the Tigers’ rotation this weekend if all went well in tonight’s rehab outing. That timeline could change now.
Sanchez was off to a fantastic start this season prior to his shoulder woes, posting a 2.76 ERA and 101/23 K/BB ratio in 81 2/3 innings across 13 starts.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 14
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 97
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 71
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (98)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)