Jul 1, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
Stadiums across baseball are observing a moment of silence this evening to honor the 19 firefighters who lost their lives yesterday while battling a wildfire near Yarnell, Arizona. The tragedy was the deadliest single incident for U.S. firefighters since September 11, 2001.
The Diamondbacks are miles away from their home state tonight while playing in New York, but they honored the memory of the fallen firefighters by hanging a “19 Yarnell” jersey in the visiting dugout at Citi Field. The Mets made the very same gesture.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes that the Diamondbacks will wear black jerseys for their next home series, which is set to begin this Friday against the Rockies.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4