Jul 1, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Marmol is owed about $5 million for the rest of this season, so presumably the Cubs have agreed to eat a significant portion of that money to either save a little something or get a minor leaguer in return for the impending free agent.
Marmol was horrible for the Cubs this season and has always gone through extremely frustrating stretches because of his incredibly bad control, but from 2007-2012 he posted a 2.90 ERA with the majors’ highest strikeout rate and lowest opponents’ batting average.
As a highly paid closer Marmol was mostly a mess, but as a bargain-bin middle reliever he’d certainly be worth a flier. Even this year, while struggling overall, he has 32 strikeouts in 28 innings.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)