Jul 1, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Marmol is owed about $5 million for the rest of this season, so presumably the Cubs have agreed to eat a significant portion of that money to either save a little something or get a minor leaguer in return for the impending free agent.
Marmol was horrible for the Cubs this season and has always gone through extremely frustrating stretches because of his incredibly bad control, but from 2007-2012 he posted a 2.90 ERA with the majors’ highest strikeout rate and lowest opponents’ batting average.
As a highly paid closer Marmol was mostly a mess, but as a bargain-bin middle reliever he’d certainly be worth a flier. Even this year, while struggling overall, he has 32 strikeouts in 28 innings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 114
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)