Josh Beckett: “I couldn’t feel my hand”

Jul 1, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Josh Beckett will undergo season-ending surgery this week to remove a rib and relieve pressure on a nerve that’s been causing hand numbness for several years.

It’s a potentially career-threatening injury for the 33-year-old right-hander and Beckett talked to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times about how much the hand numbness has impacted his performance (and life):

I’d try to drive with my right hand and my right hand would go numb. I’d throw a bullpen, and I couldn’t feel my hand. … Being ready for next year, and for spring training, without any limitations is probably the most realistic goal.

Beckett tried to rest and rehab before opting for surgery, but the description of what he dealt with certainly shines a light on how he went from top-of-the-rotation starter to going 7-19 with a 4.76 ERA in 214 innings since the beginning of last season. Shaikin writes that “his arm would feel weak and heavy” whenever he pitched.

1. Jack Marshall - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That sure makes more sense than attributing his decline to beer and chicken…

• raysfan1 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Foul. Thou shalt not interfere with The Narrative.

Things like having beer and chicken in the clubhouse of a winning team is “staying loose” or healthy “letting off steam.” On a losing team this is unforgivable, and those determined responsible under the law of the kangaroo court are permanently branded as purveyors of evil.

• 161andriver - Jul 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Don’t you mean….fowl?

• fanofevilempire - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

This guy is a whiner and complainer, great trade Dodgers and not only did
      take on huge contracts but you gave up prospects too.

• Jeff M. - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Oh, good lord. Beckett was the cost of doing business. . .the Dodgers were really after Gonzalez and Crawford.

Do people really STILL not realize that? Or is it more fun to pretend to be ignorant?

2. b453841l - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

At least now he doesn’t have to sit on his hand before giving himself a stranger.

• yahmule - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I knew some variation on this joke was coming but didn’t anticipate it this quickly.

• amlumber - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I was going to go with a Marilyn Manson/Gone in 60 Seconds hybrid, but now it seems lame.

3. dondada10 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

In the 80s, players couldn’t feel their face.

4. bfunk1978 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I wonder who Beckett will give his rib to…

5. specialkindofstupid - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

All this talk of “ribs” is making Pablo Sandoval hungry. I’m assuming.

6. number42is1 - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM

If a female Beckett is suddenly created from this I think we can put the whole “Is God real” debate to rest.

7. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

How many stupid and waay overplayed chicken and beer’ comments will we be subjected to?

Hopefully no one is stupid enough to….oh wait.

8. Old Gator - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Wait till you get to my age Josh. Your hand will be the least of what you can’t feel.

9. buggieowens - Jul 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Fortunately for the rest of posters here, at least your brain is still in tip-top shape. And I apologize for not being able to tell the difference between good flan and bad flan.

• Old Gator - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

There is no difference between a good flan and a bad flan.

• buggieowens - Jul 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Another life lesson from O.G….thanks

10. moogro - Jul 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Rest and rehab is what Beckett is good at. Noting his health problems, we should cut him some slack until we see if can add working out to his repertoire for next year.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4113)