Jul 1, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Kyle Kendrick was hit on the back of the helmet by a pitch while batting yesterday and the Phillies right-hander has been diagnosed with a “mild” concussion.
Of course, because so-called “mild” concussions are still brain injuries that label tends not to mean a whole lot, as Justin Maxwell of the Astros proved most recently. Kendrick’s next start is in jeopardy and, as with all brain injuries, it won’t be surprising if the Phillies eventually place him on the disabled list.
Kendrick actually stayed in the game after being hit and pitched the next half-inning, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that he “left with a headache after that” and “will be re-evaluated Monday in Pittsburgh.”
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)