Ruben Amaro is open to trading Chase Utley

Jul 1, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT

Chase Utley AP

Ruben Amaro has talked about how he’s not going to tear-down and rebuild, but maybe that stance is softening. Because yesterday he told the Philadelphia Daily News that Chase Utley could be traded:

“I think I’ve expressed it to Chase and I’ve said it publicly, we feel like he’s a Phillie for life,” Amaro said. “My job, however, is to make sure the viability of the organization is the most important element. Even though he might be the most popular player, if there are things we have to do with some of these popular players that are going to make our club better, then we have to keep our minds open.”

It would make a ton of sense to field offers for Utley. After missing some time this season, is hitting a fine .284/.348/.517. But at 34 it’s unlikely that Utley is going to be part of the next Phillies playoff team. He would, however, look good on any number of other teams who are in the hunt. Baltimore springs to mind, but there are no shortage of teams who would benefit from his services.

1. chacochicken - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I’ve made a call to the Rubester and offered him screen legend Anthony Quinn’s undershirt for Utley. I’d be willing to throw in a 1985 Topps Roger Clemens as well. I’ll let you know when he gets back to me.

2. dw3dw - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The A’s could use him but I can’t see them giving up much for a guy with his injury history and who is going to be a FA after this season. Seems more likely they would call up Grant Green, but Utley would help them at 2B.

• cuppingmaster - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Green may have the bat, but his defense there is average at best. I think the A’s could pull it off, paying for most of his salary and sending a mid-level prospect back in return.

• APBA Guy - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You guys on AN did a nice article making the case for an Utley trade. The value of the article from my perspective was that it supported my thesis that the A’s biggest need was a quality middle infielder. But I prefer the notion of an upgrade at short with a move of Lowrie to second. Sort of Stephen Drew redux. Lowrie’s defense at short is insufficient for a contender, and with reduced defensive chances at second his bat will play very well there.

• PhillyPhanAnalysis - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Take Jimmy if you need defense at SS. He may not be the hitter that Utley is anymore, but he still has decent speed (when he chooses to use it), a lot of experience in the playoffs, the ability to hit just about anywhere in the lineup, and is from Cali anyway.

I would like to keep Utley in Philly just to how the next group of youngins how to play the game the right way, if nothing else. Maybe the NL will switch to a DH before his career is over and give him a shot to play a little longer as well.

Also, I just love the way he plays the game, and would throw up a little in my mouth to see him in any other uniform.

• docvegas - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM

we have already given them MOSS, and that was for nothing. then he goes out and signs lance USELESS nix. if he wants to give the A’s a player give them useless nix

3. southpaw2k - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I can’t picture the Orioles renting Utley at 2B for potentially three months, even if he would be a major upgrade over their other options at the position at the moment. Plus, do they really need that much more of a boost in their offense anyway?

They need a #1 ace to anchor their pitching staff. Cliff Lee would be ideal, but I can’t imagine that kind of deal happening.

4. Kevin S. - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

What about first base for the Yankees? The bat would be a major upgrade over Overbay, and he might just manage to stay healthy if he doesn’t have to man the pivot.

5. Jonny 5 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

(sobbing)…..

But if it helps get this team turned around? Fine!

(more sobbing)…..

• stex52 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

There, there Jonny. It happens to everybody eventually. You’ll be okay. There’ll be another 2nd baseman for you.

6. 13arod - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

So yesterday the gm said he wasn’t going to trade anybody unless they fall back more games now he says he might trade one of his best players make up your mind gm

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM

In his defense they DID fall back one more game.

7. 13arod - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

dw3dw the a’s can’t get him because they don’t have good prospects

• dw3dw - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Maybe–but what can the Phillies reasonably expect in return for a 34 yr old, oft-injured guy who will be a FA? The A’s might have enough for that kind of deal.

• PhillyPhanAnalysis - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Exactly why there is no point to trading him for the phils. He is worth more to the phils than any other team, NL or AL. Jimmy on the other hand, is still a GG caliber SS, and is not a rental.

• paperlions - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The A’s have plenty for a 1/2 season rental. Utley is still very good, but you are only getting him for 3 months, he isn’t cheap, he is 34, and he is not injury prone. Add it up, and they’ll be lucky to get a solid B prospect for him.

• paperlions - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

*now, not “not”

• paperlions - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

*now, not “not”…man, that was an unfortunate typo….though, no Dog Fister

8. 13arod - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I would love for Tampa to get him if they could get the Phills to pay most of his contract and Tampa has one of the best minor league systems they could beat Boston in the division and maybe he World Series

• paperlions - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

There is no way Tampa will give up a viable prospect for a 2-3 month rental, they are the team that trades guys that will be expensive and that relies on their system 100% to remain competitive…they aren’t trading anyone potentially useful and cheap for a modest upgrade (if any) over Zobrist.

9. khmerson562 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Welcome home (LA) chase.

10. xmatt0926x - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

As a fan, my style has never been to fall in love with players. I root for the team with the understanding that players are temporary hired guns representing my hometown team for a few years before they eventually move on and end up at THEIR home. It seems to me that only a small percentage of players ever really develop a real, permanent connection to the city they play for.

It will suck to see Utley finally go though. The fan man-love for him is the real deal. This guy still goes full out on every ground ball, runs the bases like an enraged bull, refuses to allow a reporter to compliment him for his good play during any interview before quickly bringing up another teammate for praise. Wherever he goes, that teams fans are going to see why Philly fans and media have been in love with this guy for the past 7 or so years.

• PhillyPhanAnalysis - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Don’t forgot those luscious locks on his head either…if I could only have his hair! Or at least not be losing mine…

11. colbycal1383 - Jul 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Ruben killed the phills! I can’t wait till he gets fired!!!

• PhillyPhanAnalysis - Jul 1, 2013 at 3:34 PM

If only Ruben could trade himself. Hell, I don’t even need anything in return, just get him out of Philly please!

12. docvegas - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM

are the phillies that pathetic that LANCE NIX is still on the team?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2817)