Jul 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On the disabled list with an elbow injury, Wandy Rodriguez got a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need at least three more weeks of rest and rehab, the Pirates announced.
There’s no official timetable for his return, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculates that Rodriguez will be out until at least early August. Fortunately for the Pirates they have the rotation depth to deal with his injury (and James McDonald also being out), but Rodriguez is still a tough loss considering he has a 3.66 ERA in 25 starts since joining Pittsburgh last season.
There had been some speculation that the Pirates would send Gerrit Cole back to the minors once the rotation was at full strength, but it’s safe to say the former No. 1 pick’s spot is secure for a while.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)