Jul 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On the disabled list with an elbow injury, Wandy Rodriguez got a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need at least three more weeks of rest and rehab, the Pirates announced.
There’s no official timetable for his return, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculates that Rodriguez will be out until at least early August. Fortunately for the Pirates they have the rotation depth to deal with his injury (and James McDonald also being out), but Rodriguez is still a tough loss considering he has a 3.66 ERA in 25 starts since joining Pittsburgh last season.
There had been some speculation that the Pirates would send Gerrit Cole back to the minors once the rotation was at full strength, but it’s safe to say the former No. 1 pick’s spot is secure for a while.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)