Jul 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
On the disabled list with an elbow injury, Wandy Rodriguez got a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need at least three more weeks of rest and rehab, the Pirates announced.
There’s no official timetable for his return, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculates that Rodriguez will be out until at least early August. Fortunately for the Pirates they have the rotation depth to deal with his injury (and James McDonald also being out), but Rodriguez is still a tough loss considering he has a 3.66 ERA in 25 starts since joining Pittsburgh last season.
There had been some speculation that the Pirates would send Gerrit Cole back to the minors once the rotation was at full strength, but it’s safe to say the former No. 1 pick’s spot is secure for a while.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 73
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)