Jul 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On the disabled list with an elbow injury, Wandy Rodriguez got a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need at least three more weeks of rest and rehab, the Pirates announced.
There’s no official timetable for his return, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculates that Rodriguez will be out until at least early August. Fortunately for the Pirates they have the rotation depth to deal with his injury (and James McDonald also being out), but Rodriguez is still a tough loss considering he has a 3.66 ERA in 25 starts since joining Pittsburgh last season.
There had been some speculation that the Pirates would send Gerrit Cole back to the minors once the rotation was at full strength, but it’s safe to say the former No. 1 pick’s spot is secure for a while.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12