Jul 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
On the disabled list with an elbow injury, Wandy Rodriguez got a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need at least three more weeks of rest and rehab, the Pirates announced.
There’s no official timetable for his return, but Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculates that Rodriguez will be out until at least early August. Fortunately for the Pirates they have the rotation depth to deal with his injury (and James McDonald also being out), but Rodriguez is still a tough loss considering he has a 3.66 ERA in 25 starts since joining Pittsburgh last season.
There had been some speculation that the Pirates would send Gerrit Cole back to the minors once the rotation was at full strength, but it’s safe to say the former No. 1 pick’s spot is secure for a while.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)