Jul 2, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez just concluded his first minor league rehab game with the Low-A Charleston RiverDogs. And while he didn’t contribute much in the way of offense, the night was far from a failure.
The veteran third baseman grounded into a double play in his first at-bat and struck out looking in his second at-bat, but he played three innings at third base and most importantly had no issues with his surgically-repaired hip. There was an over-capacity crowd at Charleston’s Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park — a big boost for that affiliate — and A-Rod thanked them for coming by signing autographs down the right-field line for a while after being removed from the lineup in the bottom of the third.
Rodriguez will slowly wind his way through the Yankees’ minor league system, working his way up to full nine-inning games. He is expected to return from his January hip surgery right around the All-Star break.
Yankees third baseman have hit .227/.288/.310 in 2013 and Kevin Youkilis is done for the year.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)