Jul 2, 2013, 6:34 AM EDT
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 4: Arizona took two leads in this game: a 3-0 lead they held for most of it and then, after the Mets tied it in the ninth, a 4-3 lead in the 13th. The ultimate rally was capped with Andrew Brown’s two-run single. The best part of that, though: Kirk Gibson ordered an intentional walk to John Buck before that. John Buck who SCORED THE WINNING RUN. John Buck who was 0 for 4 at that point. John Buck who is hitting .205. Any time you can put the winning run on base, you totally gotta do that, right? I think that’s in the grit handbook.
Yankees 10, Twins 4: Andy Pettitte, who has admitted to using performance enhancing drugs, passed Whitey Ford, who is well known for doctoring baseballs, for the Yankees all-time strikeout record. Two homers for Robinson Cano, as the Yankees snap their five-game losing streak.
Nationals 10, Brewers 5: Bryce Harper came back from the DL and smacked a homer on the second pitch he saw. Jayson Werth had the bigger bat, though, driving in five. Jordan Zimmermann won his 12th and had three hits of his own.
Blue Jays 8, Tigers 3: A happy Canada Day it was, eh, as the Jays topped the Tigers behind R.A. Dickey‘s seven innings of two-run ball. Detroit fel behind by five runs and any hopes they had of coming back were crushed when Mark DeRosa hit a three-run bomb.
Reds 8, Giants 1: It has rained in Ohio for a week straight, so no real surprise this one was rain-shortened. Mercifully so, really. Giants pitcher Michael Kickham: not exactly the answer to San Francisco’s rotation problems. He has started three times, two of them have gone shorter than three innings and, in order, he has given up 4, 5 and 7 runs on 4, 8 and 9 hits, respectively.
Marlins 4, Padres 0: Jose Fernandez topped Moore, tossing eight two-hit shutout innings and fanning ten. All four of the Marlins runs were unearned.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (104)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)