Cubs trade Feldman, Clevenger to Orioles for Arrieta, Strop, and international bonus money

Jul 2, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT

Scott Feldman AP

Trading season is officially upon us, as Keith Law of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs have traded right-hander Scott Feldman and catcher Steve Clevenger to the Orioles for right-hander Pedro Strop, right-hander Jake Arrieta, and about $400,000 in international signing bonus slot amount.

It’s tough to have a good feel for how valuable the international bonus money tranfer is because there’s no real history of it to analyze, but for a rebuilding team like the Cubs anything that allows them to bring in more young talent certainly makes sense.

Feldman pitched well for Chicago, starting 15 games with a 3.46 ERA, and Baltimore was clearly in the market for veteran rotation help. It’s also worth noting that the Cubs signed Feldman to a one-year, $7 million deal as a free agent back in November, so they turned a modest short-term investment into what they hope will be some long-term value.

Arrieta was once a top prospect, but he’s been terrible in various big-league stints with a 5.46 ERA in 358 innings and is now 27 years old. Any notion of him developing into a top-of-the-rotation arm is probably long gone, but he may still be a useful starter or an interesting bullpen project. Strop figures to step into the Cubs’ bullpen in a middle relief role, where he’ll probably continue to struggle with control while flashing occasionally dominant raw stuff.

It’s an interesting trade, as the Cubs signed Feldman on the cheap and then flipped him for a former top prospect and a hard-throwing reliever, plus the ability to spend more on international prospects. Meanwhile, for the Orioles they obviously gave up on Arrieta ever living up to his potential and Strop was pretty expendable in the grand scheme of things, so they added a decent starter in Feldman for the second half without having to dip into their farm system.

1. Loose Changeup - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Chicago is going to just absolutely fall in love with Pedro Strop

• southpaw2k - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

And they thought Carlos Marmol was awful? HA!!!

• nolanwiffle - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Did you forget to use the sarcasm font………or are you insane?

• 18thstreet - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Strop could be a serviceable player if he only faced righties.

2. flamethrower101 - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Did Carlos Marmol kidnap the real Pedro Strop and steal his identity?

3. ncm42 - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Meh. I wonder if this kills any chance of the O’s chasing Nolasco (or someone).

4. cubfan531 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Clevenger was also disgruntled with the Cubs for how they handled his injury this year. Packed his bags from AAA Iowa yesterday and was sent to his hotel to await word on where he’d be headed.

• bmorelikeme - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Also, just interesting to note he’s a Baltimore kid, went to Mount St. Joes and was apparently “in tears” to be coming back to his hometown.

Really don’t know anything about him, but it’s always nice to have players who want to be here.

5. ncm42 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Will Clevenger turn Teagarden into trade bait? I know ZERO about the Cubs, so I don’t even know who Clevenger is.

• cubfan531 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

LH backup catcher with a little pop, solid contact abilities, but major injuries the past two years. Able to play C, 1B, 3B, LF, RF, and has played 2B in the past in the minors. Won’t ever be a starter, and was currently on the 60-day DL. Solid enough backup/3rd catcher, given his ability to play all over the diamond.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM

He did grow up in Glen Burnie, Maryland, so at least there’s a hometown connection there.

• cubfan531 - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Good for him. I liked Clevenger, but I never deluded myself into thinking he was going to be the guy behind the plate. Glad he gets to play at home.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I figured Strop was on his way out after the interview with the local paper, however I was still holding out hope on Arrieta, who’s issues are strictly mental, and who still possesses a tremendous about of talent. My biggest complaint in all this is that they traded for a pending free agent, and I absolutely loath those types of deals. (Unless I’m the seller that is.) It just feels like you are giving something away for nothing. But I suppose it’s nice to see the O’s are at least making an attempt to push beyond a potential playoff berth.

• psuorioles - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Holding out hope on Arrieta… why? The guy has proved, that he can’t pitch in the ALE.. I’m glad he is gone and the O’s can stop moving him up and down…

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The Orioles are giving up nothing to get a solid pitcher. Strop was 1 disastrous outing away from the waiver wire. Jake Arrieta is just a talent that the team could not get consistent outings from.

This trade is brilliant for Baltimore

• sarahtheta1 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Scott?
        Strop and Arrieta were/are huge talents who couldn’t control their stuff. Good riddance. Feldmann has a ton of connections in the locker room, and we have a hometown AAA catcher. Sounds like an amazing deal to me!

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I don’t mean to give off the impression that I’m against the deal, I just typically don’t like picking up rentals. Strop has been a disaster this year, but it was just last year that he was dominating the league. He fell far fast, and who knows, may be able to pick it back up. A lot of people are down on Arrieta, and I fully admit I have probably been holding out hope longer than I should. (I’m also still the guy that really hopes Brian Roberts can contribute this year, even if I know how unlikely that is.) It’s really hard to watch a guy absolutely dominate for 5-7 innings, then pull a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde routine. I just really was hoping he would be able to figure it all out and turn into what we all hoped he would be two years ago. I like Feldman, I really do. I just wish he had at least one more year on his contract. But in the end, the O’s got a good starting pitcher for two players they have no use of, so it’s certainly a win.

7. ncm42 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Thanks @531!

8. valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Cubs are going to land 2 maybe 3 really nice international prospects this year.

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

And there is one big signing, the #2 international prospect according to BBA, Gleyber Torres SS from Venezuela. Plus they signed RHP Jefferson Mejia for 850k. Now they are working on the #1 prospect OF Eloy Jimenez.

9. bmoreravens1012013 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I like it. ok that’s it.

10. fukpittsburgh - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Wow I would have traded Arrieta and Strop for one of the Cubs lesser grounds crew members. Nice work Duquette. It’s like trading away bad memories.

11. mdagnew1 - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Feldman was with Buck in Texas… good move for everyone. O’s get something to help them now and Cubs get projects with no long term loss…

12. steelers88 - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Terrible trade for the Cubs!

• iwillfindyou - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Stick to football Steelers88.

13. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Good move by the O’s. He’s got good numbers at Camden, might not be an ace, but there who really is on the market in our budget? I rather give up international money, and two players that haven’t benefited us this year than give up prospects like Eduardo Rodriguez, Schoop, Delmonico.

14. jiggy3198 - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’ve hit to admit I’m glad to see both go. Strop had some stuff and he learns to pitch and not just throw he will be a beast. Maybe in the NL JA can blossom. Two years removed from opening day starter

15. boyofzimmer - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Arrieta is intriguing… Earlier this year there was talk of him converting to the bullpen, could be a tremendous reliever.

16. hoping4acubswinner - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I’m just trying to figure out what the Cubs consider a rebuilding phase. They get great talent then let it go ie: Maholm, Feldman, Archer and the like. I do understand what the trading deadline means (back in 03 we got Ramerez, Simon, and Lofton from Pittsburgh) and I do like that they are getting rid of dead weight (that means you Marmol). Not to mention getting the international guys. But why get our hops up with real talent just to get rid of them? What happened to “We’re building for the future while trying to be competitive now”? It seems more and more that they’re just building for the future (not that that’s a bad thing) and saying screw it for the present. I knew we weren’t going to be any kind of competitive right now but at the moment I’m questioning the five year plan Epstein was talking about when he got hired.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3686)