Jul 2, 2013, 2:11 PM EST
In a swap of relievers who were designated for assignment, Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have traded Carlos Marmol and about $200,000 in international signing bonus money to the Dodgers for Matt Guerrier.
Marmol certainly has a lot more upside than Guerrier, who’s been little more than middle relief-caliber since signing a three-year, $12 million deal with the Dodgers two-and-a-half seasons ago. This year Guerrier had a 4.80 ERA and 21/12 K/BB ratio in 30 innings. Of course, Guerrier is also much less likely to completely implode on the mound, which Marmol has done far too often this season.
On the other hand, even while struggling overall this season Marmol racked up 32 strikeouts in 28 innings, posting a double-digit strikeout rate for the eighth consecutive season, and from 2007-2012 he posted a 2.90 ERA with the majors’ highest strikeout rate and lowest opponents’ batting average. If the Dodgers can get him to go from “worst control of all time” to merely “really, really bad control” he’s still capable of overpowering hitters.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)