Jul 2, 2013, 2:11 PM EST
In a swap of relievers who were designated for assignment, Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have traded Carlos Marmol and about $200,000 in international signing bonus money to the Dodgers for Matt Guerrier.
Marmol certainly has a lot more upside than Guerrier, who’s been little more than middle relief-caliber since signing a three-year, $12 million deal with the Dodgers two-and-a-half seasons ago. This year Guerrier had a 4.80 ERA and 21/12 K/BB ratio in 30 innings. Of course, Guerrier is also much less likely to completely implode on the mound, which Marmol has done far too often this season.
On the other hand, even while struggling overall this season Marmol racked up 32 strikeouts in 28 innings, posting a double-digit strikeout rate for the eighth consecutive season, and from 2007-2012 he posted a 2.90 ERA with the majors’ highest strikeout rate and lowest opponents’ batting average. If the Dodgers can get him to go from “worst control of all time” to merely “really, really bad control” he’s still capable of overpowering hitters.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)