Jul 2, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
As first reported by beat writer Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times, Evan Longoria is back in the Rays’ starting lineup on Tuesday night against the Astros after sitting out all weekend following a flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Longoria is batting cleanup and will serve as the Rays’ designated hitter rather than playing third base. That’s mostly just a precautionary measure.
Longo has posted a .917 OPS and tallied 17 home runs and 47 RBI in 80 games this season. He may need random days off down the stretch to protect his right foot, but it’s not an ailment that should require many extended absences.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)