Jul 2, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
There are baseball highlight shows in Cuba and tourists can get cable broadcasts in the hotels, but no full-length Major League games have been shown on over-the-air TV in Cuba since 1961. At least until now:
Cubans got to watch something on their television screens this week that this baseball-crazed island hasn’t seen in more than half a century: a Major League Baseball game broadcast in its entirety on the open airwaves. But the early reviews were not overly enthusiastic. The game turned out to be a nearly 2-month-old matchup between two teams that boast none of the defected Cuban stars who islanders are most eager to follow.
I’m waiting for someone to write the “baseball ratings in Cuba stink because baseball is dying” article, sidestepping the fact that the game lacked any angle of local interest. Well, that and the fact that the game was two months old.
Noted in the article is the strong likelihood that Cuba did not obtain the express written consent of Major League Baseball before rebroadcasting and retransmitting the pictures, descriptions and accounts of this lame Nats-Braves game. So I assume MLB will send its investigators from Miami farther south to take care of business, Selig-style.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (105)