Jul 2, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
There are baseball highlight shows in Cuba and tourists can get cable broadcasts in the hotels, but no full-length Major League games have been shown on over-the-air TV in Cuba since 1961. At least until now:
Cubans got to watch something on their television screens this week that this baseball-crazed island hasn’t seen in more than half a century: a Major League Baseball game broadcast in its entirety on the open airwaves. But the early reviews were not overly enthusiastic. The game turned out to be a nearly 2-month-old matchup between two teams that boast none of the defected Cuban stars who islanders are most eager to follow.
I’m waiting for someone to write the “baseball ratings in Cuba stink because baseball is dying” article, sidestepping the fact that the game lacked any angle of local interest. Well, that and the fact that the game was two months old.
Noted in the article is the strong likelihood that Cuba did not obtain the express written consent of Major League Baseball before rebroadcasting and retransmitting the pictures, descriptions and accounts of this lame Nats-Braves game. So I assume MLB will send its investigators from Miami farther south to take care of business, Selig-style.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 41
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)