Jul 2, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
There are baseball highlight shows in Cuba and tourists can get cable broadcasts in the hotels, but no full-length Major League games have been shown on over-the-air TV in Cuba since 1961. At least until now:
Cubans got to watch something on their television screens this week that this baseball-crazed island hasn’t seen in more than half a century: a Major League Baseball game broadcast in its entirety on the open airwaves. But the early reviews were not overly enthusiastic. The game turned out to be a nearly 2-month-old matchup between two teams that boast none of the defected Cuban stars who islanders are most eager to follow.
I’m waiting for someone to write the “baseball ratings in Cuba stink because baseball is dying” article, sidestepping the fact that the game lacked any angle of local interest. Well, that and the fact that the game was two months old.
Noted in the article is the strong likelihood that Cuba did not obtain the express written consent of Major League Baseball before rebroadcasting and retransmitting the pictures, descriptions and accounts of this lame Nats-Braves game. So I assume MLB will send its investigators from Miami farther south to take care of business, Selig-style.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (148)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)