Jul 2, 2013, 10:44 PM EST
The two most recent no-hit performances in Major League Baseball belong to Cincy’s Homer Bailey.
Bailey’s first, last September 28 at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park, required 115 pitches and played out in front of a small opposing crowd of yellow and black. The scene on Tuesday night was a little more special.
Bailey needed only 109 pitches to shut down the defending World Series-champion Giants in front of an intense and attentive but clearly nervous group of 27,000-plus fans at Great American Ball Park. He benefited from some nice defensive plays — one especially from Joey Votto — but yielded only a seventh-inning walk to Gregor Blanco and racked up nine strikeouts.
The last pitcher to own the two most recent no-hitters in the majors was Nolan Ryan (in 1974-1975).
Only 28 pitchers in history have thrown multiple no-hitters and just five (Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Bob Feller, Larry Corcoran and Ryan) have thrown three or more. At 27 years old, Bailey has a shot to join that club.
The former No. 7 overall pick owns a 3.57 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 111/26 K/BB ratio through 111 innings this season for third-place Reds. He is scheduled to face the light-hitting Mariners at home next time out.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)