Jul 2, 2013, 10:44 PM EDT
The two most recent no-hit performances in Major League Baseball belong to Cincy’s Homer Bailey.
Bailey’s first, last September 28 at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park, required 115 pitches and played out in front of a small opposing crowd of yellow and black. The scene on Tuesday night was a little more special.
Bailey needed only 109 pitches to shut down the defending World Series-champion Giants in front of an intense and attentive but clearly nervous group of 27,000-plus fans at Great American Ball Park. He benefited from some nice defensive plays — one especially from Joey Votto — but yielded only a seventh-inning walk to Gregor Blanco and racked up nine strikeouts.
The last pitcher to own the two most recent no-hitters in the majors was Nolan Ryan (in 1974-1975).
Only 28 pitchers in history have thrown multiple no-hitters and just five (Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, Bob Feller, Larry Corcoran and Ryan) have thrown three or more. At 27 years old, Bailey has a shot to join that club.
The former No. 7 overall pick owns a 3.57 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 111/26 K/BB ratio through 111 innings this season for third-place Reds. He is scheduled to face the light-hitting Mariners at home next time out.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)