Jul 2, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
TOP OF THE NINTH: Bailey made a nice play on a high-bouncing comebacker from the Giants’ No. 8 hitter, Brandon Crawford, to get the first out in the ninth and struck out pinch-hitter Tony Abreu with a 97 mph fastball for the second out. Gregor Blanco, who drew the walk in the seventh inning to break up the perfect game, then slapped an easy grounder to Reds third baseman Todd Frazier to complete Bailey’s no-no.
TOP OF THE EIGHTH: Bailey got Hunter Pence to pop up on the infield and Brandon Belt to fly out to right, then Andres Torres lined out to center. The Reds are still up 3-0 heading into the bottom of the eighth.
Bailey, who threw a 115-pitch no-hitter last year against the Pirates, is at 96 pitches with three outs to go.
History may be in the works tonight in Cincinnati.
Reds right-hander Homer Bailey has thrown a no-hitter through seven innings against the defending World Series-champion Giants. Bailey brought a perfect game into the top of the seventh but issued a leadoff walk to Gregor Blanco, who then advanced to second base on a Marco Scutaro groundout. Buster Posey nearly broke up the no-no one batter later when he blooped a ball between second and first base but the Reds’ Joey Votto made a heads-up play and threw to third, catching Blanco off guard on a fielder’s choice. We’ll be tracking this the rest of the way. Cincy is leading San Francisco by a score of 3-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)