Jul 2, 2013, 9:57 PM EDT
TOP OF THE NINTH: Bailey made a nice play on a high-bouncing comebacker from the Giants’ No. 8 hitter, Brandon Crawford, to get the first out in the ninth and struck out pinch-hitter Tony Abreu with a 97 mph fastball for the second out. Gregor Blanco, who drew the walk in the seventh inning to break up the perfect game, then slapped an easy grounder to Reds third baseman Todd Frazier to complete Bailey’s no-no.
TOP OF THE EIGHTH: Bailey got Hunter Pence to pop up on the infield and Brandon Belt to fly out to right, then Andres Torres lined out to center. The Reds are still up 3-0 heading into the bottom of the eighth.
Bailey, who threw a 115-pitch no-hitter last year against the Pirates, is at 96 pitches with three outs to go.
History may be in the works tonight in Cincinnati.
Reds right-hander Homer Bailey has thrown a no-hitter through seven innings against the defending World Series-champion Giants. Bailey brought a perfect game into the top of the seventh but issued a leadoff walk to Gregor Blanco, who then advanced to second base on a Marco Scutaro groundout. Buster Posey nearly broke up the no-no one batter later when he blooped a ball between second and first base but the Reds’ Joey Votto made a heads-up play and threw to third, catching Blanco off guard on a fielder’s choice. We’ll be tracking this the rest of the way. Cincy is leading San Francisco by a score of 3-0 in the bottom of the seventh.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)