Jim Thome joins White Sox as special assistant to GM

Jul 2, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT

Jim Thome AP

Jim Thome wanted to keep playing at age 42, but no major-league offers came in and now the future Hall of Famer has joined the White Sox’s front office as a special assistant to general manager Rick Hahn.

Thome, who played for the White Sox from 2006-2009, will have a role working with both major leaguers and minor leaguers. “I don’t think I could ask for a better situation than being in Chicago and with the White Sox,” Thome said, via Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com.

Thome has always been incredibly popular everywhere he played, so it’s no surprise that the White Sox wanted to bring him aboard, but it’s sort of a shame that he couldn’t find a part-time designated hitter gig for one last run. He hit .252 with a .752 OPS last season, which, just for instance, is a higher OPS than everyone on the White Sox this year except for Alex Rios and Adam Dunn.

One of the greatest power-and-patience sluggers in MLB history, Thome ranks seventh all time in both homers (612) and walks (1,747) while being 20th in OPS (.956).

1. specialkindofstupid - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Could Thome become a GM one day? That would be fun.

First transaction: Sign Jim Thome. I bet at 50 he’d still be able to hit a few homers.

2. kander013 - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

2009 game 163, wonderful baseball game. I miss the Sox and Twins having solid teams going at it.

3. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Great guy, Great mentor…well deserving! He’s a huge reason why Chris Davis has become who he is.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM

How so? I hadn’t heard of any special work he did with Davis. Not questioning you, just curious what you heard.

I did hear of several occasions where Buck asked him to head down to Bowie to watch a game and report back on a few players progress. I always liked Thome, and he was a great part of the team last year. Always seemed like one of those guys you just really wanted in your clubhouse.

4. 13arod - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I wish he would have signed with the rays because he would be better then Luke Scott

5. bigharold - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM

NIce to keep a good baseball guy in the game.

“..but it’s sort of a shame that he couldn’t find a part-time designated hitter gig for one last run. ”

You reading this Cashman?

6. Jason Lukehart - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Jim and his wife are very involved in philanthropy around Chicago. I’m happy to know they’ll be able to continue those efforts.

7. sleepyirv - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Congratulations to Thome on his baseball career and good luck to him for all of his future endeavors.

8. atldb1 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Best acquisition by the Sox in the last couple of years!

9. jlovenotjlo - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

If things keep going the way they are with the White Sox, especially if they’re able to trade away everyone, I see no reason why Jim can’t walk downstairs and play some games at DH this season. I mean, he already works here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4187)