Jul 2, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
John Franco and his wife held an estate sale last year. After the sale, the Francos and the woman who handled the estate sale had a fight. That fight has turned into a lawsuit. The lawsuit alleges that Franco assaulted the agent:
Franco, the career saves leader for left-handed pitchers, refused to let Ms. King leave, shoving her away from the front door and standing there for 15 minutes while glaring menacingly at her, court filings allege. Meanwhile, his wife berated her and called her a thief, contends the Westchester County resident.
At one point, Franco, who amassed 424 saves and 90 wins over 21 years, became enraged and flung an autographed baseball at a wall, Ms. King maintains in the suit, recently filed in Manhattan state Supreme Court.
“John A. Franco acted like a bully, intending to intimidate a woman,” Ms. King’s filing alleges.
The back story is that the Francos claim they are owed $30,000 more out of the estate sale than they received. The Francos’ lawyer says this is a “throw mud at the wall” lawsuit intended to head off his clients’ monetary claim.
Who knows what really happened. In my experience, though, situations like this — where the fight is really about money and there were extended negotiations over it prior to the suit being filed — lend themselves to the most innocuous acts to be characterized as the most heinous of physical assaults.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)