Jul 2, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
John Franco and his wife held an estate sale last year. After the sale, the Francos and the woman who handled the estate sale had a fight. That fight has turned into a lawsuit. The lawsuit alleges that Franco assaulted the agent:
Franco, the career saves leader for left-handed pitchers, refused to let Ms. King leave, shoving her away from the front door and standing there for 15 minutes while glaring menacingly at her, court filings allege. Meanwhile, his wife berated her and called her a thief, contends the Westchester County resident.
At one point, Franco, who amassed 424 saves and 90 wins over 21 years, became enraged and flung an autographed baseball at a wall, Ms. King maintains in the suit, recently filed in Manhattan state Supreme Court.
“John A. Franco acted like a bully, intending to intimidate a woman,” Ms. King’s filing alleges.
The back story is that the Francos claim they are owed $30,000 more out of the estate sale than they received. The Francos’ lawyer says this is a “throw mud at the wall” lawsuit intended to head off his clients’ monetary claim.
Who knows what really happened. In my experience, though, situations like this — where the fight is really about money and there were extended negotiations over it prior to the suit being filed — lend themselves to the most innocuous acts to be characterized as the most heinous of physical assaults.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)