Jonathan Papelbon on Yasiel Puig making the All-Star team: “it’s an absolute joke. It’s really kind of stupid”

Jul 2, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

Jonathan Papelbon Getty Images

The real question is why anyone asked him. But they did, and here’s what the Phillies closer thinks of Yasiel Puig maybe making the All-Star team:

“To me, it’s an absolute joke. It’s really kind of stupid if you ask me,”Papelbon said on MLB Network Radio, as he had trouble even saying Puig’s name correctly. “The guy’s got a month, I don’t even think he’s got a month in the big leagues, and just comparing him to this and that, and saying he’s going to make the all-star team, that’s a joke to me. It’s just really what happens in baseball when… to me it really does an injustice to the veteran players that have been in the game for eight, nine, ten plus years, and it kind of does them an injustice because they’ve worked so hard to stay there.”

I was kind of agnostic on the idea of Puig making the All-Star team. I mean, sure, he hasn’t been around long and I feel like overall contribution matters. At the same time, it is just the All-Star Game and give the people what they want, ya know?

Now, though? I want him to make the All-Star team simply so that Jonathan Papelbon is further annoyed.

(thanks to Halladay’s Biceps — yes, I talk to him on Twitter — for the heads up)

126 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. peopletrains - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

“Thanks” to Bud Selig the All-Star Game isn’t just a game since home field is on the line. Because of this Papelbon looks like an even bigger idiot (how is that possible?!). Assuming he is still the hottest hitter in baseball at that point, of course you’d want him on the NL team.

• Sideline Mob - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Jonathan Papelbon is doing his damndest to be this generation’s John Rocker, isn’t he?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Did he say something overtly bigoted, racist, or something morally objectionable here to warrant that comparison? Like ” I love Castro ” or something?

• neoshweaty - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I don’t remember Papelbon being an out of the closet racist like Rocker was. I feel like you might have forgotten exactly what he said about the people of New York back in 99:

“Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you’re riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing… The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?”

Not that it matters, but as someone born and raised in NY, I fucking loved the melting pot and the possibility that strange personalities might fill my day (as long as I ended up perfectly safe).

Papelbon may be stupid, but I don’t think he has said anything quite like that at least to my recollection.

• Sideline Mob - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Not saying Papelbon is racist. Remember, there’s such a thing as making a joke.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Then make a better comparison! Modern day Curt Schilling for instance.

• Sideline Mob - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Curt Schilling was never bitter and butt-hurt about the success of younger players. Also, Schilling was consistently a good pitcher.

2. yahmule - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Pissing and moaning is all you get from this guy.

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

…and blown saves. :-)

• yahmule - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Oh yeah, my bad.

:~)

• yahmule - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Oh yeah, my bad.

:~)

• chunkala - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It’s all that he has left since he completely sucks now.
      If MLB wants ratings take Puig.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Let’s not confuse stupidity in front of the press with mound performance. In terms of WHIP Papelbon is actually having his best year so far. The strikeouts are down sure but so are the walks. He’s been no different than most above average closers like Soriano or Jim Johnson. It’s just that his blown saves came all within a week and stand out like a sore thumb.

Ruben just needs to take a page from the Cashman book and tell Papelbon to STFU.

3. valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

All Star game is for the fans
    How many times do people need to be reminded of this?

I think he’s one of the most exciting AB’s in baseball for the past month
    While I couldn’t care less to watch Paps pitch or talk for that matter.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I agree valar. (The fact that this game means something is one of baseball’s flaws. The All Star game is for the fans.) Puig is the most exciting, dynamic player in baseball right now. To omit him is inanity. (I was going to type insanity but autofill on my phone opted for inanity. Sometimes autofill is wise.) His numbers are ridiculous. There is no set sample size to determine who is an All Star, no minimum tenure or qualification.

If there is an Astro or Marlin “All-Star” and no Puig, baseball should be ashamed. You know who might be the Rays representative thanks to injuries? James Loney. Loney, but no Puig. I shake my head.

For those of you agreeing with Papelbon, deliberate this. You are agreeing with a complete moron. Not to say he can’t ever be right–a broken clock is right twice a day, right? I’m just saying consider your opinion carefully.

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I think he’s not so subtlety making a case for a potential teammate. Some kid named Brown who gets less national attention than the every step of the Bryce Harper injury progression. Who might be just as deserving with three times as many home runs, twice as many runs, twice as many stolen bases, without a red hot Hanley Ramirez for protection.

I wonder what Brown’s numbers would be if he had that luxury. Or if Puig’svand Ramirez’s hot streaks go hand in hand.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Who isn’t giving Brown love? I gots lots of lovr for Mr. UPS. I mean, what can Brown do for you? He deserves to be on the team too. There’s no need to fight, gentlemen. There’s room for both. He can make a case for UPS without slamming the idea of Puig on the team.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Valid points Inda. Especially the part(s) about the game being for the fans and Puig being one of the most exiting players. This in mind…dude has been in the league about 3 minutes. How often do we scream “small sample size”? This is the definition/epitome of a small sample size. I don’t have any problems with Paplebon’s statement. Of course…I also have a soft spot for people who give their honest opinion/answer when asked. Even when those same people often need saved from themselves.

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Stl….the SSS argument is 100% true. Of course, within the context of sample sizes, a good month isn’t really any different than a good 3 months (as neither is a large enough sample size on which to draw a strong conclusion), and people have no problem with the game being that All-Whoever-Had-The-Best-3-Months-Game….and Puig hasn’t had a good month, he has had an other-worldly fantastical month, which would still look better than a good 3 months if he severely regressed for the next 2 months.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:06 PM

What ‘lions said. We don’t have a standard of what a sufficient sample size is to determine or define an All Star. Three months is hardly that much different than one month.

I vote Puig in.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

“Of course, within the context of sample sizes, a good month isn’t really any different than a good 3 months.”

Lions/Inda:
        Admittedly…Math isn’t my strong suit. But wouldn’t 1 month merely be 1/3 of 3 Months?
        If so…3 Months is a whole hell of a lot longer than 1 Month.

Another question (and I am being sincere):
        Is your opinion truly based off you guys feeling Puig is deserving?
        Or is your opinion the result of you guys not liking Paplebon?

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Honestly, I think Puig deserves it. I do ask myself a variation of that question all the time, especially when it comes to political matters. I’m not one of those people who will say the sky is red because a Republican said it is blue, someone who will disagree just to disagree. I’m a lover, not a fighter. If I agreed with Paps, I would say so. And then hang my head in shame. :-)

• paperlions - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The point is that they are both still small sample sizes that need not be indicative of true talent. Go to any year and look at the leaders at the 1/2 way mark and you will find guys that had good first halves that didn’t resemble any other time in their career….and every year you see arguments for this guy or that guy based on his first half, and that usually only spans 1-2 months because voting starts so early and opinions are cemented more based on hot starts than anything else.

Even a season isn’t a huge sample size to go on as crazy things can happen for an entire year in baseball.

So….if you are going to throw out a SSS argument, then you need to do so for every guy that represents a SSS.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I don’t argue with experts – and Paps is the expert on stupid.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Hmm. Excellent point. I’m not arguing Paps regarding stupidity. I’m outmatched.

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Don’t look at me. I voted for Delmon Young. You’re welcome, NL fans. xo

4. theinconvienenttruth - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I love Puig…BUT I see what Papelbon is saying here. Puig is having a phenomenal month but it’s a month. Carlos Santana had a great first month this year too (.389, 9 2B, 5 HR, 13 RBI, 14 R, .722 SLG, .476 OBP) …in April..but he’s not making the All Star team.

• bh0673 - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

So did Kevin Maas, Shane Spencer and Shelley Duncan they all had a great month until the rest of the league figured out where their weaknesses were.

• stercuilus65 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Puig’s talent leaves them in the dust. This wasn’t any month but his FIRST. Only DiMaggio had a better one.

5. specialkindofstupid - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

As appealing as annoying Jonathan Papelbon is, I do agree with him.

Puig might (might) be the best player in the NL. We could be looking at the start of all-time-great career. But it’s only been a month and that shouldn’t be discounted. One month does not an all-star recognition make, in my humble opinion.

• bigharold - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I hate to admit it but I agree with Papelbon too.

On the other hand it’s good to see that he’s getting his money’s worth out of those Dale Carnegie classes. Cause that right there is; Winning Friends and influencing people.

” I want him to make the All-Star team simply so that Jonathan Papelbon is further annoyed.”

Me Too!

6. yahmule - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Won’t someone think of the eight, nine, ten years plus veterans!

7. jrbdmb - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

… on Yasiel Puig making the All-Star team: “it’s an absolute joke. It’s really kind of stupid”.

I was just thinking the same thing about Jonathan Papelbon.

• indaburg - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You read my mind.

8. flamethrower101 - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM

This is exactly the same as when Papelbon said he wanted to close out the ’08 All Star Game rather than have Mariano Rivera do it when the game was at Old Yankee Stadium. Guy should learn when to shut his mouth.

Is he wrong? I’m not saying that. But running it like this isn’t winning him any more fans.

9. andreweac - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The All-Star game is either:
    A) a lifetime achievement award (Papelbon’s view).
    B) a game that “matters” in a vain attempt to increase ratings (Selig’s view). Or
    C) a unique marketing angle for MLB to showcase who they want the American public to learn more about.

The long-term financial success of MLB would be best served by option C. Puig should absolutely be in the game.

• Francisco (FC) - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

And if we want to give a team home-field advantage in the WS can it at least be the best MLB record? Lord knows it’s not perfect without balancing the schedule but it’s far better than this AS travesty

10. wonkypenguin - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As a fan of the Cubs, I’d like to remind you that their All Star representative last year was Bryan freaking LaHair. Everyone on earth would rather see Puig than someone of that nature, in my opinion. The hype is part of the fun.

11. 13arod - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I think that he should make the all star team because I don’t thing he has played in enough games

12. mybrunoblog - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Crapelbon is starting to remind me of another former Red Sox pitcher. You know, the annoying one who recently went bankrupt.

13. heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

” The real question is why anyone asked him. ”

My guess would because of someone who might be comparatively deserving, like Dom Brown, his team mate.

Not to try and make any sense of Papelbon after recent performances, only a crazy person would try that.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

” The real question is why anyone asked him. ”

What you said. But ALSO because they knew he would answer honestly.

• buggieowens - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Remind me again about what you said about making fun of people with mental illnesses….

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Crazy person is a generic term for all kinds of eccentric non-bland behavior. Mental illness is a medical diagnosis, as in you’re essentially feeling like you’re detatched as if on LSD without medication.

Big difference. I’m a crazy person, but am generally in no danger to myself or anyone els. Generally, anyways.

• buggieowens - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Thanks blue…I generally enjoy your posts…I just want to verify that you weren’t a hypocrite for calling me out for unintentionally making fun of someone’s mental illnesses of which I I had no prior knowledge (sorry for the run-on sentence…)

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I didn’t necessarily hold tht gainst you, but I’m a music phile of a bit and the Adam story and his story along with the band accepting him to that kind of success should be lauded on that merit alone. I don’t have a single Counting Crows song in my collection, so it’s not like I love the band. I just think it’s one he’ll of an overlooked story, in a country where a lot of healthy folk use “can’t” and “won’t” to overcome adversity.

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Good meds then, eh?

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Apparently so, both in his case and in mine ;-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Sure, there’s two of you, honey. You just lay back and relax…

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Genetic disposition, there’s always a board meeting up in this head of mine. ( My Father’s opinion, he says his mental board members yell at each other alot.)

• historiophiliac - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I hope they’re all friendly…otherwise, you’re gonna have to shell out a lot of money to get the whole group to leave you alone for a bit.

14. bluburt - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I wonder if Pap felt the same way when as a rookie he made the All Star game over closers who had 5, 7, ten years experience…

15. paperlions - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Puig getting picked for the ASG are this point is not any different that a more veteran player being selected for having a hot 2 months to start the season.

This is all pretty irrelevant anyway. If Puig makes it, it is doubtful he’ll be taking the spot of a more deserving players (deserve’s got nothing to do with it), and he’ll probably get one AB against a journaman reliever having a good year that is only at the game because every team gets a player)…so it really won’t enhance any fan experience either.

Until the “every team gets at least 1 guy” rule goes away, and managers start managing the game to win, any other complaining is secondary. By the time these games are decided, the actual stars have already showered and dressed.

16. earpaniac - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

This proves the old axiom, “Even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while.”, because Papelbon is right.

• stercuilus65 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Paps always could find nuts, in the shower.

17. rickdobrydney - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I never thought I would say this , But I agree with Papelbon — they guy has been around a MONTH for God’s sake —-Lets see what he is doing in late August—–

18. dowhatifeellike - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Does Paps even play any more? The only time I hear about him is when he opens his big mouth.

19. iwillfindyou - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Who really watches the All Star game anymore anyways? All of the pro sport All Star games are a joke any more.

20. Dylan Mackinnon - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

There are great players that have played good all year that deserve it over Puig. Dom Brown, Carlos Gomez.

• erbaodai - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Ryan Braun doesn’t deserve it over Puig, so doesn’t Shin-Soo Choo.

21. callxpress - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

The National League manager, and the God of Baseball Joe Torre, came over to the commissioner, said they were out of players and recommended that the game end in a tie. The commissioner agreed. Then the media created a frenzy, generally among the slugs, that the commissioner had done something wrong. Remember, this is an EXHIBITION game. Nevertheless, the game is wrenched into something it shouldn’t be, a World Series factor, such was the outrage from the unwashed, most of whom weren’t watching in the 11th inning of that showcase. But mocking the commissioner is such easy sport.
    Jonathon, it is an All-STAR game, not an all-veterans, or paid-your-dues, or even an every-team-must-be-represented game ( yes, it is one of those, another pandering that cheapens it). Now, Jonathon, maybe you are angry that you are no longer any kind of star, and you are blowing saves and blaming the team for not doing better. But lots of people would like to see the stars, and Puig is one shining like a supernova right now. So you have joined the pantheon of athletes who voiced or tweeted an inane comment for no gain save earning a STFU badge.

22. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM

This game isn’t just for the fans. Many players would love to be an All Star. I’m sure if Puig makes it it’ll keep some player off who has put up all star numbers over 3 months opposed to his 1. That isn’t right.

• stercuilus65 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Neither is Braun’s roiding but you have no problem with that…

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

You’re right I could care less about Braun’s roiding. I can also care less about any other players at this point. Go out and entertain me clowns, that’s all sports are, entertainment.

23. moogro - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Interesting to hear that after ‘Cepts chose self-deportation from the HBT, he became a Tweeter Padawan in Craig’s front office. There is life after baseball (talk).

24. modellforprez - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

so because Johnny’s paper pooper is annoyed you will be happy. so ur just another spiteful prick eh? craigy

25. bmoreravens1012013 - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I love any athlete who speaks his mind in this crazy, ridiculous, media driven, politically correct bonanza of a society. Most fans that don’t live in L.A. feel the same way as papelbon does. It kills me how the media portrays this as something most fans want when that’s not true. I like puig , but its only been a freekin month for crying out loud. It is a joke!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5037)