Jonathan Papelbon on Yasiel Puig making the All-Star team: “it’s an absolute joke. It’s really kind of stupid”
Jul 2, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT
The real question is why anyone asked him. But they did, and here’s what the Phillies closer thinks of Yasiel Puig maybe making the All-Star team:
“To me, it’s an absolute joke. It’s really kind of stupid if you ask me,”Papelbon said on MLB Network Radio, as he had trouble even saying Puig’s name correctly. “The guy’s got a month, I don’t even think he’s got a month in the big leagues, and just comparing him to this and that, and saying he’s going to make the all-star team, that’s a joke to me. It’s just really what happens in baseball when… to me it really does an injustice to the veteran players that have been in the game for eight, nine, ten plus years, and it kind of does them an injustice because they’ve worked so hard to stay there.”
I was kind of agnostic on the idea of Puig making the All-Star team. I mean, sure, he hasn’t been around long and I feel like overall contribution matters. At the same time, it is just the All-Star Game and give the people what they want, ya know?
Now, though? I want him to make the All-Star team simply so that Jonathan Papelbon is further annoyed.
(thanks to Halladay’s Biceps — yes, I talk to him on Twitter — for the heads up)
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)