Jul 3, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
It’s pretty great, as Valentine opened up about being a young prospect, the turf in Montreal, how he almost became a relief pitcher at the end of his career, about working for $4.50 an hour at the Phoenix airport the year after he made $450K playing major league baseball, drugs, suicide and a bunch of other stuff.
Just a neat guy who played in an era which is really only being explored in books and longer features in the past few years and about which there was so much weirdness and coolness, good and bad.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 16
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8