Jul 3, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
It’s pretty great, as Valentine opened up about being a young prospect, the turf in Montreal, how he almost became a relief pitcher at the end of his career, about working for $4.50 an hour at the Phoenix airport the year after he made $450K playing major league baseball, drugs, suicide and a bunch of other stuff.
Just a neat guy who played in an era which is really only being explored in books and longer features in the past few years and about which there was so much weirdness and coolness, good and bad.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)