Brewers not expecting Ryan Braun back before second half

Jul 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

ryan braun getty Getty Images

Ryan Braun has been on the disabled list with a thumb injury for two weeks, but the Brewers left fielder is nowhere close to returning and manager Ron Roenicke told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that the team isn’t expecting him back before the All-Star break.

That means Braun will end up missing at least a month with the injury, in addition to the weeks he spent trying to play through the ongoing discomfort with varying degrees of success.

Braun took some swings in the batting cage yesterday and said afterward that he “felt good,” but because of how long the thumb injury has lingered everyone involved seems to be taking things very cautiously.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

A conspiracy theorist friend of mine suspects Ryan Braun faked his thumb injury so he could lay low in the aftermath of the Biogenesis scandal.

My theory is a bit more simplistic: Aliens. Something about aliens.

• therealbigben - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM

yeh or he’s already on double secret probation… err.. .suspension. I wish we could trade him before deteriorates like A-Fraud

2. Alex K - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Maybe he’s setting up to do a medical retirement. Or does that only work in NY?

3. lasvegassuicidekings - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I have Braun on my fantasy team , so of course I not him to get it together soon …. But I’m starting to wonder if these nagging injuries are gonna start cropping up due to the fact he isn’t pumping the roids anymore

4. barkleyblows - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Why would he? His drug dealer is in trouble.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet