Jul 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Carlos Zambrano exited his last Triple-A start with a shoulder injury and the Phillies announced that he’ll be sidelined for a month after an MRI exam revealed a lat strain.
Zambrano’s minor-league contract with the Phillies had a July 1 opt-out date, but that’s out the window now and if Zambrano has to slowly build back his arm strength following the month off he might not be an option for the Phillies until September, if at all.
Zambrano had a 2.04 ERA in seven starts in the minors, but his 30/17 K/BB ratio in 35 innings was far less impressive and he was mostly working in the high-80s with his fastball.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 138
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23