Jul 3, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Carlos Zambrano exited his last Triple-A start with a shoulder injury and the Phillies announced that he’ll be sidelined for a month after an MRI exam revealed a lat strain.
Zambrano’s minor-league contract with the Phillies had a July 1 opt-out date, but that’s out the window now and if Zambrano has to slowly build back his arm strength following the month off he might not be an option for the Phillies until September, if at all.
Zambrano had a 2.04 ERA in seven starts in the minors, but his 30/17 K/BB ratio in 35 innings was far less impressive and he was mostly working in the high-80s with his fastball.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 8
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)