Jul 3, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com has the big scoop:
The Diamondbacks and Brewers have been talking about possible trades involving Milwaukee veteran righthanded starter Yovani Gallardo, and one of the Arizona names that’s surfaced in discussions is top pitching prospect Tyler Skaggs.
But a person familiar with the talks told Heyman that “there’s no traction at this point” toward a trade.
FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reported earlier this evening that the D’Backs have also expressed interest in Brewers relievers John Axford, Jim Henderson and Francisco Rodriguez, so this thing could grow.
Gallardo has posted a 4.78 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in 101 2/3 innings this season, but he boasts a 3.75 career ERA and a 1.31 career WHIP. The 27-year-old is making $7.75 million in 2013 and is owed $11.25 million in 2014. He carries a $13 million club option for the 2015 season which can be bought out for $600,000.
Arizona is currently leading the National League West. Milwaukee is in last place in the NL Central.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)