Jul 3, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
As of yesterday afternoon Willingham and the Twins were saying he was optimistic about avoiding surgery and returning from the disabled list in the minimum 15 days. Of course, that came after the Twins let Willingham limp around on what was clearly a bum knee for several weeks, continuing what has now been a three-year pattern of odd injury handling in Minnesota.
Willingham’s injury means the Twins will likely go with Oswaldo Arcia as their everyday left fielder, leaving Chris Parmelee in right field and opening up designated hitter for Ryan Doumit (and occasionally Joe Mauer). Willingham has struggled all season, hitting just .224 with a .398 slugging percentage following a career-year at age 33 in 2012 that had many people wondering if the Twins should trade him at the peak of his value. He’s under contract for $7 million next season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)