Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
Cardinals left fielder Matt Holliday was scratched from the lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Angels due to stiffness in his neck and back. And he’s apparently not feeling any better.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Holliday is out of the Cardinals’ batting order for a second consecutive game Wednesday in Anaheim. Allen Craig will play left field, Matt Adams will play first base, David Freese will serve as the designated hitter and Daniel Descalso will man the hot corner.
Holliday, who is being labeled day-to-day, has registered a disappointing .267/.349/.431 batting line through 327 plate appearances this season for second-place St. Louis. He finished with a .295/.379/.497 line in 2012 and a .296/.388/.525 line in 2011.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Holliday has a pinched nerve and is unable to rotate his head to look toward the mound. It sounds like he’ll be out a while longer.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)