Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
Cardinals left fielder Matt Holliday was scratched from the lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Angels due to stiffness in his neck and back. And he’s apparently not feeling any better.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Holliday is out of the Cardinals’ batting order for a second consecutive game Wednesday in Anaheim. Allen Craig will play left field, Matt Adams will play first base, David Freese will serve as the designated hitter and Daniel Descalso will man the hot corner.
Holliday, who is being labeled day-to-day, has registered a disappointing .267/.349/.431 batting line through 327 plate appearances this season for second-place St. Louis. He finished with a .295/.379/.497 line in 2012 and a .296/.388/.525 line in 2011.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Holliday has a pinched nerve and is unable to rotate his head to look toward the mound. It sounds like he’ll be out a while longer.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)