Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
Cardinals left fielder Matt Holliday was scratched from the lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Angels due to stiffness in his neck and back. And he’s apparently not feeling any better.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Holliday is out of the Cardinals’ batting order for a second consecutive game Wednesday in Anaheim. Allen Craig will play left field, Matt Adams will play first base, David Freese will serve as the designated hitter and Daniel Descalso will man the hot corner.
Holliday, who is being labeled day-to-day, has registered a disappointing .267/.349/.431 batting line through 327 plate appearances this season for second-place St. Louis. He finished with a .295/.379/.497 line in 2012 and a .296/.388/.525 line in 2011.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Holliday has a pinched nerve and is unable to rotate his head to look toward the mound. It sounds like he’ll be out a while longer.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)