Jul 3, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
Cardinals left fielder Matt Holliday was scratched from the lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the Angels due to stiffness in his neck and back. And he’s apparently not feeling any better.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Holliday is out of the Cardinals’ batting order for a second consecutive game Wednesday in Anaheim. Allen Craig will play left field, Matt Adams will play first base, David Freese will serve as the designated hitter and Daniel Descalso will man the hot corner.
Holliday, who is being labeled day-to-day, has registered a disappointing .267/.349/.431 batting line through 327 plate appearances this season for second-place St. Louis. He finished with a .295/.379/.497 line in 2012 and a .296/.388/.525 line in 2011.
UPDATE, 9:07 p.m. ET: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Holliday has a pinched nerve and is unable to rotate his head to look toward the mound. It sounds like he’ll be out a while longer.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 12
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 23
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)