Jul 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Jon Rauch has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Orioles, who released the veteran reliever.
Rauch spent a month pitching at Triple-A for the Orioles, throwing 9.1 innings with a 2.89 ERA and 10/4 K/BB ratio, but they apparently weren’t impressed enough to give him a middle relief gig and the 6-foot-10 right-hander didn’t feel like sticking around in Norfolk any longer.
Rauch was previously released by the Marlins after allowing 14 runs in 16.2 innings to begin the season and at age 34 may be nearing the end of the line following a decade-long run of consistently solid relief work.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)