Jul 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Jon Rauch has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Orioles, who released the veteran reliever.
Rauch spent a month pitching at Triple-A for the Orioles, throwing 9.1 innings with a 2.89 ERA and 10/4 K/BB ratio, but they apparently weren’t impressed enough to give him a middle relief gig and the 6-foot-10 right-hander didn’t feel like sticking around in Norfolk any longer.
Rauch was previously released by the Marlins after allowing 14 runs in 16.2 innings to begin the season and at age 34 may be nearing the end of the line following a decade-long run of consistently solid relief work.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)