Jul 3, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Jon Rauch has opted out of his minor-league contract with the Orioles, who released the veteran reliever.
Rauch spent a month pitching at Triple-A for the Orioles, throwing 9.1 innings with a 2.89 ERA and 10/4 K/BB ratio, but they apparently weren’t impressed enough to give him a middle relief gig and the 6-foot-10 right-hander didn’t feel like sticking around in Norfolk any longer.
Rauch was previously released by the Marlins after allowing 14 runs in 16.2 innings to begin the season and at age 34 may be nearing the end of the line following a decade-long run of consistently solid relief work.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69