Jul 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Jose Tabata is back from the disabled list after missing the past six weeks with an oblique injury. To make room for him on the roster the Pirates demoted yesterday’s spot starter, Brandon Cumpton, to Triple-A.
Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte obviously aren’t going anywhere in the Pirates’ outfield, so any playing time Tabata receives will come at the expense of Garrett Jones and Travis Snider, who’ve essentially split the action in right field, or first baseman Gaby Sanchez.
Tabata hit just .179 during a nine-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20