Jul 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
Jose Tabata is back from the disabled list after missing the past six weeks with an oblique injury. To make room for him on the roster the Pirates demoted yesterday’s spot starter, Brandon Cumpton, to Triple-A.
Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte obviously aren’t going anywhere in the Pirates’ outfield, so any playing time Tabata receives will come at the expense of Garrett Jones and Travis Snider, who’ve essentially split the action in right field, or first baseman Gaby Sanchez.
Tabata hit just .179 during a nine-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)