Jul 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Jose Tabata is back from the disabled list after missing the past six weeks with an oblique injury. To make room for him on the roster the Pirates demoted yesterday’s spot starter, Brandon Cumpton, to Triple-A.
Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte obviously aren’t going anywhere in the Pirates’ outfield, so any playing time Tabata receives will come at the expense of Garrett Jones and Travis Snider, who’ve essentially split the action in right field, or first baseman Gaby Sanchez.
Tabata hit just .179 during a nine-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)