Jul 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Jose Tabata is back from the disabled list after missing the past six weeks with an oblique injury. To make room for him on the roster the Pirates demoted yesterday’s spot starter, Brandon Cumpton, to Triple-A.
Andrew McCutchen and Starling Marte obviously aren’t going anywhere in the Pirates’ outfield, so any playing time Tabata receives will come at the expense of Garrett Jones and Travis Snider, who’ve essentially split the action in right field, or first baseman Gaby Sanchez.
Tabata hit just .179 during a nine-game rehab assignment at Triple-A.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 13
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 43
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)