Jul 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Well, this has devolved into farce. Porter Fischer, the ex-Biogenesis employee who claims to have a so-called “smoking gun” regarding Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and the rest of the Biogenesis players, has demanded $1 million from Major League Baseball for his cooperation. From TMZ:
Alex Rodriguez‘ career could hang in the balance of a 7-figure check — because sources tell TMZ, the whistleblower who allegedly has proof A-Rod and other players bought steroids wants at least a million bucks for his info … Fischer’s attorney tells TMZ, his client discussed a possible deal with MLB … in which the league would acquire the drug-purchasing records of more than 100 MLB players (including A-Rod and Ryan Braun) — but it’s gonna cost ‘em.
TMZ says MLB has not made an offer. Given that this Fischer dude appears to be something of [searches for a polite word] an eccentric, one wonders whether baseball is willing to play ball with him. Of course, if he does cooperate with MLB the first question is going to be whether Major League Baseball made him rich in order to offer evidence against players, so that’s fun too.
UPDATE: Just occurred to me: Major League Baseball has a lawsuit pending against Biogenesis and Anthony Bosch. Fischer was an employee and now claims to have all the information about the operation. Why doesn’t MLB simply amend the lawsuit to add Fischer and then obtain the documents in discovery? That would not cost $1 million. That would cost virtually nothing. Could it be that, perhaps, MLB realizes its lawsuit is baloney? Or, perhaps, that Fischer actually doesn’t know anything and thus is not a proper party? In which case his status as the Whistleblower-in-Chief/star witness is kinda silly?
Which is it, Mr. Selig?
Mar 5, 2015, 11:01 PM EST
Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper is understandably confident about his team’s chances, but Zack Wheeler thinks the Mets can make things interesting.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Richards is scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday for the first time since knee surgery.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:29 PM EST
It was his first game action since last July 31.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:33 PM EST
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan hears that Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have UCL damage in his elbow, but Olivera’s camp has strongly denied the report.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:07 PM EST
The Giants will likely be without Pence for the first month of the season.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Tony Clark adds that the leaks “are cowardly, undermine the integrity of our collectively bargained agreements and in some instances have been wholly inaccurate.”
Mar 5, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
He was bigger a few years ago, but he’s still a pretty big deal.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:46 PM EST
He may be a nice man, but no one likes to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Darvish spent the final six weeks of last season on the disabled list.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
It’s a minor-league deal with major-league money attached.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:52 PM EST
Chrome. No, not just the trim. The whole dang car is chrome.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
He probably won’t be, though.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Money is money, man.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
“I used to throw hard. Now, not so hard.”
Mar 5, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Why hasn’t Ethier been traded yet?
Mar 5, 2015, 9:12 AM EST
Coke is Chicago-bound.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:43 AM EST
And the fact that they are being leaked is unconscionable
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)