Shaun Marcum: not entirely understanding the concept of the New York baseball press

Jul 3, 2013, 9:43 AM EST

Shaun Marcum Getty Images

Shaum Marcum was seen in the dugout on Monday pointing at his shoulder, stretching and sorta acting like a guy with a physical problem. Then he saw a team doctor on Tuesday about it. Then he was asked about it by a reporter. This is what he said:

“That’s for me and the club,” Marcum said. “I don’t know why you guys think you need to know everything.”

I suppose he has a valid existential point about the nature of knowledge and what baseball fans truly do need to know in order to consume and enjoy baseball.  But if he thinks that’s actually going to make New York reporters bother him less, he’s none too bright.

For what it’s worth, he later said he feels fine and will make his next start. I presume the questions he is asked following that start will skew annoying.

1. chill1184 - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I have no problem with this, the NY media is full of jackals

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Here’s the problem – when you’re surrounded by jackals do you want them to be starving or well-fed?

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Not understanding the concept of New York spawrtsriters and torque show hosts is like not understanding how sharks home in on a severed femoral artery.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You misspelled “jackasses”, Chill…

• rocketsteadman - Jul 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

2. bitlrc - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM

it’s not a valid existential point, it’s a valid point in general. the press does not have a god given right to every morsel of information, though they often act like they do.

• Joe - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Well, asking questions like that is kinda their job.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

“The press does not have any God given right to every morsel of information”
      Hold on. Think about this. A MLB pitcher was obviously making some motions about a arm or shoulder issue in a dugout in full view of fans and media. A day later he sees a team doctor about it. A reporter who didn’t ask him about his health would probably not be a reporter very long.

• nbjays - Jul 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You seem to be labouring under the delusion that there are actually reporters in the New York Sports Media.

• bitlrc - Jul 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM

sure, the reporter has the right to ask whatever question they want in order to do their job. i’m just taking issue with the idea that the player has to give an honest, transparent answer to every question. of course the reporter can ask, but some issues are strictly team concerns, and the answer here strikes me as between the player and the team doctors, especially since it appears to be a non-issue.

3. dondada10 - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Marcum is definitely hurting. He missed a lot of time with neck/shoulder pains, and in his last start seemed to roll his shoulder after ever pitch and grimace.

I can see why Marcum would be so annoyed. It sucks to be an athlete and not be able to perform due to injury. It’s frustrating.

• historiophiliac - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

And you have no privacy while dealing with it. When I’m not feeling well, the last thing I want is someone pestering me.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM

There’s the rub for Marcum – he’s like an old Dodge Caravan – it usually runs but it never runs right – being in pain between starts = being Shawn Marcum.

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Sir, as the proud owner of a happily multitasking 2009 Dodge Caliber, I want to congratulate you on your profound and accurate insight into how a Doge runs.

4. stlouis1baseball - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I have often felt I would answer the injury questions with something along the lines of…
    “When we find out…you will be one of the 1st 100 or so people I tell.”

5. rickdobrydney - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I agree with Marcum —- the press nearly everywhere are vultures —I often wonder how teams would play baseball if they weren’t subjected daily to the wall to wall, intense, anything for a goddam angle or story media which is unfortunately too much a part of their everyday lives from March to October. Probably better and more relaxed. When you think about it , it all is too much really, to play a draining 4 hour game and then have to sit for a bunch of (for the most part) inane queries each and every day. Microphones in your face . Every game. Every day. I know if I were a major league ballplayer and I just got through with 10 or 12 tough innings, and I had to face a bunch of insane questions from, say, Suzyn Waldman, my head might just explode……..

6. Joe - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I don’t understand the tone of many of these comments. We care enough about Shaun Marcum’s shoulder that we are reading and commenting on a post about Marcum’s response to a reporters question about his shoulder. The media knows we care, and so they are trying to bring us information. And I didn’t witness the questions, but there’s no real indication that the reporter was badgering him, is there.

So the answer to Marcum’s comment (“I don’t know why you guys think you need to know everything.”) is that Marcum and the Mets have fans who are interested. The reporter has customers who want to know what’s going on. And the way to keep those fans engaged is to ask the question.

7. magicrat13 - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

i find it ironic that there are people here criticizing the press asking 100+ questions, yet these same people are on these sorts of sites multiple times a day to get the latest and greatest news….

• Old Gator - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes, and some of that news today concerns the press harassing Marcum. Where’s the discontinuity?

8. therealbigben - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Show me a healthy Shawn Marcum and I’ll show you the unicorn I keep in my back yard

9. thedudabides - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Who gives a horses ass about Shawn Marcum anyway. I’d rather her be hurt, 1-9. Make some room for Montero.

10. thedudabides - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM