Jul 3, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
I beat the Wang double entendres to death last night on Twitter and this morning in ATH so I won’t do that anymore. But I will note, with some degree of sadness, that the Blue Jays designated Chien-Ming Wang for assignment after last night’s disaster start against the Tigers.
Wang was staked to a 4-0 lead in the first inning but couldn’t escape the second after allowing six runs on eight hits and a walk. That matched the length of his previous outing — he gave up seven runs in an inning and a third to the Red Sox last week — and constituted his third awful game in five starts since being called up by the Jays. That’s just not sustainable, so bye-bye Wang.
It’ll be interesting to see if he latches on anyplace else. He hasn’t had a full season worth of starts since 2007. He was moderately useful in a handful of starts in 2011. Otherwise it has been a disaster of injury and poor pitching, rendering his days as a budding ace — he won 19 games in back-to-back seasons once upon a time — a distant memory.
But he is a name. And sometimes names get more chances than their baseball abilities truly warrant. So we’ll see.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 29
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 85
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)