Jul 3, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
I beat the Wang double entendres to death last night on Twitter and this morning in ATH so I won’t do that anymore. But I will note, with some degree of sadness, that the Blue Jays designated Chien-Ming Wang for assignment after last night’s disaster start against the Tigers.
Wang was staked to a 4-0 lead in the first inning but couldn’t escape the second after allowing six runs on eight hits and a walk. That matched the length of his previous outing — he gave up seven runs in an inning and a third to the Red Sox last week — and constituted his third awful game in five starts since being called up by the Jays. That’s just not sustainable, so bye-bye Wang.
It’ll be interesting to see if he latches on anyplace else. He hasn’t had a full season worth of starts since 2007. He was moderately useful in a handful of starts in 2011. Otherwise it has been a disaster of injury and poor pitching, rendering his days as a budding ace — he won 19 games in back-to-back seasons once upon a time — a distant memory.
But he is a name. And sometimes names get more chances than their baseball abilities truly warrant. So we’ll see.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (110)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)