Jul 3, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
I beat the Wang double entendres to death last night on Twitter and this morning in ATH so I won’t do that anymore. But I will note, with some degree of sadness, that the Blue Jays designated Chien-Ming Wang for assignment after last night’s disaster start against the Tigers.
Wang was staked to a 4-0 lead in the first inning but couldn’t escape the second after allowing six runs on eight hits and a walk. That matched the length of his previous outing — he gave up seven runs in an inning and a third to the Red Sox last week — and constituted his third awful game in five starts since being called up by the Jays. That’s just not sustainable, so bye-bye Wang.
It’ll be interesting to see if he latches on anyplace else. He hasn’t had a full season worth of starts since 2007. He was moderately useful in a handful of starts in 2011. Otherwise it has been a disaster of injury and poor pitching, rendering his days as a budding ace — he won 19 games in back-to-back seasons once upon a time — a distant memory.
But he is a name. And sometimes names get more chances than their baseball abilities truly warrant. So we’ll see.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)