Jul 3, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
I beat the Wang double entendres to death last night on Twitter and this morning in ATH so I won’t do that anymore. But I will note, with some degree of sadness, that the Blue Jays designated Chien-Ming Wang for assignment after last night’s disaster start against the Tigers.
Wang was staked to a 4-0 lead in the first inning but couldn’t escape the second after allowing six runs on eight hits and a walk. That matched the length of his previous outing — he gave up seven runs in an inning and a third to the Red Sox last week — and constituted his third awful game in five starts since being called up by the Jays. That’s just not sustainable, so bye-bye Wang.
It’ll be interesting to see if he latches on anyplace else. He hasn’t had a full season worth of starts since 2007. He was moderately useful in a handful of starts in 2011. Otherwise it has been a disaster of injury and poor pitching, rendering his days as a budding ace — he won 19 games in back-to-back seasons once upon a time — a distant memory.
But he is a name. And sometimes names get more chances than their baseball abilities truly warrant. So we’ll see.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 19
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)