Jul 3, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Derek Jeter has yet to play this season, his shortstop fill-in Eduardo Nunez is on the disabled list with an oblique injury, and now the fill-in’s fill-in, Jayson Nix, is on the DL with a hamstring strain.
Nix has been the Yankees’ primary shortstop since mid-May, but has hit just .236 with two homers and a .607 OPS in 73 games. Of course, that looks like pretty solid production compared to the infielder the Yankees just signed to fill his roster spot, Luis Cruz, who was let go by the Dodgers earlier this week after hitting .127 in 45 games.
So now the Yankees are on their fourth-string shortstop and Cruz has gone from being employed by the team with MLB’s second-highest payroll to being employed by the team with MLB’s highest payroll.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 59
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11