Jul 3, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Puig’s exploits are well known at this point. He made his debut in June and in 26 games completely wrecked the opposition. He led the Majors with a .436 (44-for-101) batting average, posted a .467 OBP and a .713 slugging percentage while smacking seven home runs. His 44 hits ranked as the second-most all-time for a player in their debut calendar month, four behind Joe DiMaggio’s 48 hits in May 1936. He also, quite obviously, led all rookies in every category that mattered, garnering NL Rookie of the Month honors too.
Kipnis doesn’t get a scintilla of the press Puig gets, but he’s a fine, fine player. Maybe the most underrated or, at the very least, unknown stars in the game. The Indians second baseman hit .419 (39-for-93) with 12 doubles, one triple, four home runs, 25 RBI, 17 runs scored and 30 walks in 27 games. That all amounted to first in the AL in batting average and on-base percentage (.517), tied for first in hits, second in doubles, RBI, slugging percentage (.699) and extra-base hits (17), tied for second in walks. Kipnis reached base safely in each of his 27 games played in June and has an overall streak of 33 straight games.
Good job, gentlemen. Feel free to take tomorrow off.
[Wait, what? Oh … OK]
No, don’t take tomorrow off. Your teams need you.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)