Jul 3, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Puig’s exploits are well known at this point. He made his debut in June and in 26 games completely wrecked the opposition. He led the Majors with a .436 (44-for-101) batting average, posted a .467 OBP and a .713 slugging percentage while smacking seven home runs. His 44 hits ranked as the second-most all-time for a player in their debut calendar month, four behind Joe DiMaggio’s 48 hits in May 1936. He also, quite obviously, led all rookies in every category that mattered, garnering NL Rookie of the Month honors too.
Kipnis doesn’t get a scintilla of the press Puig gets, but he’s a fine, fine player. Maybe the most underrated or, at the very least, unknown stars in the game. The Indians second baseman hit .419 (39-for-93) with 12 doubles, one triple, four home runs, 25 RBI, 17 runs scored and 30 walks in 27 games. That all amounted to first in the AL in batting average and on-base percentage (.517), tied for first in hits, second in doubles, RBI, slugging percentage (.699) and extra-base hits (17), tied for second in walks. Kipnis reached base safely in each of his 27 games played in June and has an overall streak of 33 straight games.
Good job, gentlemen. Feel free to take tomorrow off.
[Wait, what? Oh … OK]
No, don’t take tomorrow off. Your teams need you.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)