Jul 3, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Puig’s exploits are well known at this point. He made his debut in June and in 26 games completely wrecked the opposition. He led the Majors with a .436 (44-for-101) batting average, posted a .467 OBP and a .713 slugging percentage while smacking seven home runs. His 44 hits ranked as the second-most all-time for a player in their debut calendar month, four behind Joe DiMaggio’s 48 hits in May 1936. He also, quite obviously, led all rookies in every category that mattered, garnering NL Rookie of the Month honors too.
Kipnis doesn’t get a scintilla of the press Puig gets, but he’s a fine, fine player. Maybe the most underrated or, at the very least, unknown stars in the game. The Indians second baseman hit .419 (39-for-93) with 12 doubles, one triple, four home runs, 25 RBI, 17 runs scored and 30 walks in 27 games. That all amounted to first in the AL in batting average and on-base percentage (.517), tied for first in hits, second in doubles, RBI, slugging percentage (.699) and extra-base hits (17), tied for second in walks. Kipnis reached base safely in each of his 27 games played in June and has an overall streak of 33 straight games.
Good job, gentlemen. Feel free to take tomorrow off.
[Wait, what? Oh ... OK]
No, don’t take tomorrow off. Your teams need you.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)