Jul 3, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Puig’s exploits are well known at this point. He made his debut in June and in 26 games completely wrecked the opposition. He led the Majors with a .436 (44-for-101) batting average, posted a .467 OBP and a .713 slugging percentage while smacking seven home runs. His 44 hits ranked as the second-most all-time for a player in their debut calendar month, four behind Joe DiMaggio’s 48 hits in May 1936. He also, quite obviously, led all rookies in every category that mattered, garnering NL Rookie of the Month honors too.
Kipnis doesn’t get a scintilla of the press Puig gets, but he’s a fine, fine player. Maybe the most underrated or, at the very least, unknown stars in the game. The Indians second baseman hit .419 (39-for-93) with 12 doubles, one triple, four home runs, 25 RBI, 17 runs scored and 30 walks in 27 games. That all amounted to first in the AL in batting average and on-base percentage (.517), tied for first in hits, second in doubles, RBI, slugging percentage (.699) and extra-base hits (17), tied for second in walks. Kipnis reached base safely in each of his 27 games played in June and has an overall streak of 33 straight games.
Good job, gentlemen. Feel free to take tomorrow off.
[Wait, what? Oh ... OK]
No, don’t take tomorrow off. Your teams need you.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)