Jul 4, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
Gordon’s head snapped back as he hit the wall, which is actually a chain-link fence in Kansas City. Had it simply been a padded wall all of the way around, perhaps the blow would have been lessened.
While Gordon was down, Kipnis ran all of the way around the bases for a three-run inside-the-park homer. He didn’t realize Gordon was hurt until after celebrating at the plate.
The injury comes at a bad time for a Royals team that just jettisoned Jeff Francouer and Triple-A Omaha’s Xavier Nady. The Royals can go to a David Lough-Jarrod Dyson-Lorenzo Cain outfield while Gordon is out, but they have little depth beyond that. 30-year-old career minor leaguer Anthony Seratelli might be their best choice for a callup. The Royals also have veteran Willy Taveras and ex-Tiger Quintin Berry in Triple-A, but both have struggled.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)