Jul 4, 2013, 12:52 AM EDT
Gordon’s head snapped back as he hit the wall, which is actually a chain-link fence in Kansas City. Had it simply been a padded wall all of the way around, perhaps the blow would have been lessened.
While Gordon was down, Kipnis ran all of the way around the bases for a three-run inside-the-park homer. He didn’t realize Gordon was hurt until after celebrating at the plate.
The injury comes at a bad time for a Royals team that just jettisoned Jeff Francouer and Triple-A Omaha’s Xavier Nady. The Royals can go to a David Lough-Jarrod Dyson-Lorenzo Cain outfield while Gordon is out, but they have little depth beyond that. 30-year-old career minor leaguer Anthony Seratelli might be their best choice for a callup. The Royals also have veteran Willy Taveras and ex-Tiger Quintin Berry in Triple-A, but both have struggled.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 27
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)