Jul 4, 2013, 12:52 AM EST
Gordon’s head snapped back as he hit the wall, which is actually a chain-link fence in Kansas City. Had it simply been a padded wall all of the way around, perhaps the blow would have been lessened.
While Gordon was down, Kipnis ran all of the way around the bases for a three-run inside-the-park homer. He didn’t realize Gordon was hurt until after celebrating at the plate.
The injury comes at a bad time for a Royals team that just jettisoned Jeff Francouer and Triple-A Omaha’s Xavier Nady. The Royals can go to a David Lough-Jarrod Dyson-Lorenzo Cain outfield while Gordon is out, but they have little depth beyond that. 30-year-old career minor leaguer Anthony Seratelli might be their best choice for a callup. The Royals also have veteran Willy Taveras and ex-Tiger Quintin Berry in Triple-A, but both have struggled.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)