Jul 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
We noted a minor leaguer committed a Merkle’s Boner play the other day, not realizing that he had to advance to second base safely in order for the winning run to score. Last night a major leaguer committed a mental miscue of his own.Actually, two major leaguers had miscues on the same play: Aramis Ramirez and Rickie Weeks of the Brewers in last night’s game against the Nats.
Weeks was on first base and Ramirez was on third with one out. Teammate Sean Halton hit a long fly ball to the warning track which Denard Span caught for the second out. Weeks, however, assumed there were two outs already and had rounded second base by the time was caught. Ramirez — who did know the number of outs — yelled at Weeks to get back to first base. He did not, however, tag up quickly. By the time he eventually did Weeks had been doubled off first base before Ramirez could cross home plate. If he had crossed home before Weeks was out his run would have counted.
“I thought that double play, automatically the run don’t count,” Ramirez said. “I had no idea. I don’t think anybody knew. I was trying to get Rickie’s attention to get back. It was a weird play.”
Know you know, Aramis. And it only took you 16 years in the major leagues to figure it out.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 30
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)