Jul 4, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
We noted a minor leaguer committed a Merkle’s Boner play the other day, not realizing that he had to advance to second base safely in order for the winning run to score. Last night a major leaguer committed a mental miscue of his own.Actually, two major leaguers had miscues on the same play: Aramis Ramirez and Rickie Weeks of the Brewers in last night’s game against the Nats.
Weeks was on first base and Ramirez was on third with one out. Teammate Sean Halton hit a long fly ball to the warning track which Denard Span caught for the second out. Weeks, however, assumed there were two outs already and had rounded second base by the time was caught. Ramirez — who did know the number of outs — yelled at Weeks to get back to first base. He did not, however, tag up quickly. By the time he eventually did Weeks had been doubled off first base before Ramirez could cross home plate. If he had crossed home before Weeks was out his run would have counted.
“I thought that double play, automatically the run don’t count,” Ramirez said. “I had no idea. I don’t think anybody knew. I was trying to get Rickie’s attention to get back. It was a weird play.”
Know you know, Aramis. And it only took you 16 years in the major leagues to figure it out.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)