Carl Crawford is ready to rejoin the Dodgers

Jul 4, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Carl Crawford AP AP

Carl Crawford going on the disabled list with a strained hamstring on June 2 led to the Dodgers calling up Yasiel Puig, but now Crawford is ready to return and Puig is hurt.

Crawford went 5-for-13 with one stolen base on a four-game rehab assignment at Single-A and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that he’s expected to come off the disabled list Friday against the Giants.

That will create a logjam in the Dodgers’ outfield with Crawford, Puig, Matt Kemp, and Andre Ethier splitting time in three spots, although Puig running into the wall at Coors Field last night may lead to some time off for the rookie phenom. If everyone is healthy Ethier looks like the odd man out, or at least the outfielder least likely to play regularly.

Crawford hit .301 with five homers, nine steals, and an .828 OPS in 51 games before the injury, looking very much like his old, pre-Red Sox self.

1. stoutfiles - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM

When Puig is healthy you have to play him. As long as he’s hitting over .400, you must. Kemp will be hard to bench because they really want to get him rolling. The only time Kemp or Puig should be sitting is if they need a day off just because of exhaustion.

So it’s like Crawford and Ethier will be switching off a lot, with Crawford getting the majority of the play time.

2. pisano - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Not to worry about playing time, Crawford will be on the DL again in no time, so they’ll be plenty of time for all.

• fanofevilempire - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yeah, I forgot he was still on Dodgers, man did they get screwed in that
      deal with Boston, I wonder if the Dodgers made the first call in that trade.

• pisano - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

fanofevilempire….Boston fans should love the Dodgers, with that deal Boston got well in a hurry. Taking Crawford, and Buckett (of crap) alone relieved Boston of big bucks to get the players they needed, and now they have a pretty solid team. I don’t think they’ll win the AL east, but they’ve improved immensely and they got rid of excess payroll.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I keep forgetting how much good James Loney and Alan Webster have brought the Red Sox.

No, wait a minute, it’s that I keep forgetting how little NYY and Bosox fans actually care about reality more than hearing themselves talk.

I do know it’s one of those things.

• gibbyfan - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I am totally opposed to big dollars ruling the game. I think it kills competitive balance and is not good for the game —but having said that, I dont think you can say the Dodgers got screwed –Other than Becket these players are contributing and I fully expect the Dodgers will win the division (even though I hope not). The point is they can afford to write off Becket so for them it’s just an added expense they can afford to get teh others–it would have killed other teams –which is why I dont like it. But, it’s also far less of a waste than AROD or numerous others –where there was not even compensatory value that the Dodgers got.

3. fukpittsburgh - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

LOL

4. pop562 - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Dodgers have depth in the outfield so rotating these often injured guys sounds like a strategical move. This should make them more competitive. If you want to play, be productive and outshine the other guy. It’s going to be hard to sit Puig or kemp. So ether and Crawford will be fighting for playing time. I think Crawford will get more playing time unless he gets hurt again.

5. hittfamily - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

How is Ethier not a Royal yet?

• mazblast - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM

He has no Braves background, so Dayton Moore doesn’t want him.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4232)