Derek Jeter says he’s ready for rehab games

Jul 4, 2013, 2:35 PM EST

Derek Jeter Getty Getty Images

On July 4th, Captain America declares his readiness for game action:

The Captain believes he’s very close to joining his mates.

“I’m anxious to be playing in games,” Derek Jeter said. “Everything I’ve needed to do up until that point, I’ve done … Everything felt good, yes sir,” Jeter said. “I think I’m close.”

It feels like eons ago that Jeter played baseball for the Yankees. I guess all of 2012 and before feels like eons ago for this team, which has changed so much since just last fall. I’ve never been the biggest Jeter fanboy on the planet, but I gotta say, it feels wrong him being gone. Baseball feels off.

1. southofheaven81 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

“Derek Jeter needs to shut the f*** up.” -Absolutely no one who wants to keep a job in the Yankees organization

2. sdelmonte - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Captain America is David Wright. Ask anyone who watched the start of the WBC.

3. e5tolife - Jul 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Shut the f*ck up jeter

4. abaird2012 - Jul 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Shut the — ahhh, what’s the point?

Happy 4th, everybody.

5. henryd3rd - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Where’s Brian Cashman when we need him? Players making comments without first running them past the Yankee organization folks. Okay when will Granderson be taking the mike and I guess Tex will be holding a news conference detailing how his surgery went. Hey Michael Pineda! Don’t even think about it.

• nbjays - Jul 5, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Didn’t you know? Jeter IS the Yankees organization. Therefore, anything that comes out of his mouth is automatically approved.

6. valarmorghuliss - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Long Live King George!

• bigharold - Jul 4, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Ironically on GMSlll,’s b’day Jeter makes the same declaration that A-Rod made and yet no pronouncements about Jeter’s need to STFU.

Perhaps it was never that important when A-Rod made the same statement and Cashmen over reacted? Nah, .. that can’t be it. It doesn’t dovetail with reality.

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Actually I meant George William Frederick, aka George III

7. pistonhurricane - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Is this an official Yankees statement or is Jeter making a declaration on his own?

• nbjays - Jul 5, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Since Derek Jeter IS the Yankees, I’d call it official.

8. thejrod2006 - Jul 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Even at age 39….he’s better than Alberto Gonzalez, Luis Cruz, Reid Brignac, and the other stiffs the Yankees have thrown out there at SS this year.

9. badintent - Jul 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Derek will come back and kick ass. Just to show up that stupid David Letterman and all his nasty wisecracks about Minka Kelly and Jeter’s Tampa Mansion.. Letterman thinks it’s ok for him to screw a bunch of interns but non of them can hold Minka’s jock or anything else. David is jealous .little smuck. His show sucks. !!

• nbjays - Jul 5, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Minka Kelly wears a jock? Who knew?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester