Jul 4, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
In an effort to keep Evan Longoria in the lineup and off the disabled list after aggravating the plantar fasciitis in his right foot the Rays will use the third baseman at designated hitter.
Longoria missed three games with a tear in his foot, returning Tuesday at DH, and told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune:
If I can be in the lineup and be effective offensively, then that’s, obviously, more important than trying to do two things at once and not being able to do either one of them effectively. I’m happy at where I’m at considering the circumstances. Happy that I’m at least able to be in the lineup. We’ll take it day-by-day as far as where we are playing the field.
Not exactly encouraging words, although he’s certainly right that Longoria at DH is better than Longoria on the DL. Kelly Johnson and Ryan Roberts figure to split time at third base and using Longoria at DH means less playing time for Luke Scott.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)