Red Sox sign Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel

Jul 4, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT

Allstate Sugar Bowl - Louisville v Florida Getty Images

The Red Sox caught University of Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel by surprise when they picked him in the 29th round last month:

Now they also have him signed, WEEI’s Alex Speier reported on Wednesday. The deal won’t take Driskel away from Gainesville; he’s set to be the Gators’ starting quarterback this fall. He’s not currently particularly well regarded as an NFL prospect, though that could change if he makes enough progress over the next two years. If not, then he could give baseball a try. He was viewed as a pretty good prospect as a center fielder in high school, though since he was a top-five quarterback recruit and everyone knew he was off to Florida, he went undrafted then.

If Driskel someday reaches the majors, he’d be the second former Florida quarterback to do so. Herbert Perry was a backup for the Gators (and teammate of Emmitt Smith) in 1987-88. He played for four major league teams from 1994-2004.

1. Matthew Pouliot - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

And as long as I’m mentioning Perry, I guess I should also bring up Doug Johnson, who was a second-round pick of the Rays out of high school and played parts of two seasons in the minors (1997-98) while also serving as the Gators’ starting quarterback (1997-99). He hit .215 with five homers in 247 AB in Rookie ball. He went on to spend six years in the NFL.

2. gotampabay52 - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Just another gator qb who can’t make it in the NFL. Go Canes & Vols fsu and uf havent produce a qb ponder sucks tebow is a big top flop one playoff win wonder, brad johnson won because Warren Sapp helped the defence win championship gators & fsu suck

3. beerjunkie - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Matthew Pouliot, you writing and your chosen topics BOTH simply suck. You suck even too much to be a Yahoo part-timer on the sports scene. Do us all a favor and go buss tables and wash dishes on the over night shift at your local Waffle House. You’re an embarrassment to all if journalist. Man, you suck.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:54 AM

First, beer, “you writing”? Next, “buss” means to kiss. Next, “all if journalist”? Lastly, with all due respect, those dwelling in glass domiciles ought not engage in stone-throwing, you twit.

• Old Gator - Jul 4, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Sounds to me like we’re better off with beerjunkie writing gibberish here than being out on the road in whatever condition he must have been in when he secreted that post.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Look the Cheetos residue on his fingers clearly caused him to miss the “r” in “your”.

4. watchfullhose - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Why won’t Urban Meyer talk about this kid?!?!?!!!

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Reporter: “Urban, I’d love to ask you about Mr. Driskall”

Urban: *brow gets sweaty* “Look whatever legal trouble that kid is in, I have no comment”

Reporter: “He was just drafted by the Red Sox”

Urban: “Sorry, force of habit”

5. barnesaintnoble - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I wouldn’t describe these short bits of news as writing. It’s just news, factual information, that he is reporting. Spelling and grammar are fine. I would have used a semicolon in a few of the sentences that are bordering on run-on, but that a personal choice. It’s solid reporting. And I’m sorry if this offends you Matt, but I have a hard time considering this journalism. I consider it reporting, which eventually leads to more journalistic type writing at an elevated position.

It’s kind of funny you butchered that last embarrassment comment. Too much beer maybe? You are an embarrassment to every teacher and professor (though I doubt you’ve ever had a professor) you’ve ever had. Anonymity is great when you are trying to pick up a hooker, not so much on internet comment sections. That’s the one thing about Facebook integrated comment sections that I like. If you want to be a jerk and don’t mind that people can see who you are and what you say? Go for it, you’re still a jerk though, but a jerk I respect.

6. nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:56 AM

This fellow might prove to be terrific, but I doubt many Red Sox fans really thought they needed much help at quarterback right now.

• js20011041 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Did you watch any Florida games last year? He just might be a better baseball player than a quarterback.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Some fans we picked up in ’04 and ’07 might think so.

7. theskinsman - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Sox fans obviously need to sign a kicker, and a few stout defensive linemen.

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Yah, I’m thinking we could turn this kid into a tight end or receiver.

8. jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

You never finished your first sentence. Though this could be a subtle tribute to the creator of Mad Libs who died recently. The second sentence certainly looks like one as well.

9. spideysdog - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

urban has begun daily prayer sessions with the kid, to help him find his path…. potential NFL backup or potential Pawtucket mainstay….. hmmmm…..

• jcmeyer10 - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Went to a SeaDogs game last night, I am sure he could hit better than Kolbrin Vitek, a LF who just raised his average to the Mendoza line last night.

10. andreweac - Jul 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

No Tebow comparison? I’m disappointed.

Three legends off to Cooperstown