Jul 4, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
As soon as the Dodgers acquired Carlos Marmol from the Cubs earlier this week they placed him on waivers and predictably no other team wanted anything to do with the $5 million or remaining on his contract.
Marmol passed through waivers unclaimed and was outrighted off the 40-man roster, accepting an assignment to Triple-A.
By swapping Matt Guerrier for Marmol the Dodgers picked up about $200,000 in international signing bonus money, so regardless of whether Marmol ever joins Los Angeles’ bullpen they got some value out of the deal. And if he can put together a good stretch in the minors Marmol certainly still has enough upside to think he can contribute in the second half as a middle reliever.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)