Jul 5, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Matt Garza picked a good time to start pitching well. At least from the Cubs’ perspective. Buster Olney reports that the Cubs are “making progress” on talks with multiple teams for the services of their starter, including Texas, Boston, Toronto, Cleveland, the Dodgers “and maybe Baltimore.” Olney adds that “a couple of more teams in the NL West” could be interested in Garza too.
Since a disaster start on June 11 in which he gave up nine runs Garza — whom Olney refers to as “the belle of the ball” and which should thus be his new nickname going forward — has allowed one or zero runs in four straight outings, all of which lasted seven innings or longer. Those starts haven’t come against the staunchest competition — the Mets, Astros, Brewers and A’s — but solid is solid and this is July and teams often take a “what have you done lately” approach in July.
It’s all about health now. Garza was the belle of the ball at last year’s trade deadline too. Then he got hurt and that was that for his marketability.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)