Jul 5, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Edward Mujica has been brilliant since stepping into the Cardinals’ closer role, converting 21 consecutive saves with a 2.20 ERA and 25/1 K/BB ratio in 28.2 innings heading into last night.
And then last night against the Angels he blew his first save of the season by serving up a game-tying two-run homer to Josh Hamilton and a game-winning single to Erick Aybar, with both hits coming on changeups.
With a 1-0 count against Hamilton, Molina called for an inside fastball. Mujica shook it off, wanting to throw his signature split-changeup. Hamilton crushed it for a two-run homer. … Nine-hole hitter Erick Aybar worked the count to 2-1, at which point Molina, again, called fastball. Mujica instead went back to his changeup. Aybar dropped it into left to send the Cardinals to their second walk-off loss of the season.
“I didn’t follow Yadi, and that’s a mistake I can’t make anymore,” Mujica said. “From now on, I’m just going with Yadi. It was a big mistake.”
Molina is such an amazing defensive catcher and is consistently given so much credit for the Cardinals’ success that shaking him off leading to blown saves makes for a very interesting narrative. It’s at least worth noting, however, that Mujica’s changeup has been an incredibly effective pitch. In fact, according to Fan Graphs it’s been one of the 10 best pitches thrown by relievers this season. I’ll be curious to track if Mujica throws it less often going forward.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)