Jul 5, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez will likely get his 2013 season started on Sunday with Triple-A Round Rock, reports Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest. The Rangers recently signed the controversial 41-year-old slugger to a Minor League deal in what amounts to a low-risk, medium-reward flier.
We last saw Ramirez in the Majors in 2011 when he had a very short-lived, controversy-laden stint with the Tampa Bay Rays. He posted a .118 OPS before failing a drug test, prompting his retirement. During the off-season, he requested and was granted reinstatement into Major League Baseball, then signed a Minor League deal with the Athletics as spring training began. With Triple-A Sacramento, Ramirez posted a .697 OPS in 69 trips to the plate. He requested his release from the team. During the off-season, he played in the Dominican Professional Baseball League.
Ramirez signed with the EDA Rhinos of the Chinese Professional Baseball League in Taiwan for the 2013 season. There, he finally found success at the dish, hitting .352 with eight homers and 43 RBI in 49 games. Ramirez opted out of his contract with the Rhinos on June 15, then signed with the Rangers, effectively starting the next chapter of his waning baseball career.
Love him or hate him, you can’t slight the guy’s passion for the game. Not many 40-year-olds, let alone those who have done as much on the field and earned as much money as Ramirez has in his career, would traverse the globe to continue playing for relative peanuts in relative obscurity. And in a season in which Raul Ibanez is helping us rethink what we know about 40-year-olds playing baseball, it wouldn’t be the strangest thing if Ramirez hit his way back into the Majors.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)