Jul 5, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The 40-46 Padres, still surprisingly in the thick of things in the tight-knit NL West at 4.5 games behind, will get a boost in the lineup tonight as Everth Cabrera returns from the disabled list, per the team’s official Twitter. In a related move, 23-year-old right-hander Burch Smith, sitting on an 11.37 ERA in 12.2 innings, was optioned to Triple-A Tuscon.
Cabrera, putting up All-Star-caliber numbers, was sidelined since June 17 with a strained left hamstring. Until the injury, he had posted a .305/.382/.418 line with 31 stolen bases in 38 attempts. FanGraphs still has him as the most valuable shortstop in baseball at 3.6 Wins Above Replacement, a hair above Jean Segura at 3.5. In Cabrera’s absence, the Padres relied on Pedro Ciriaco at shortstop, but the former member of the Pirates and Red Sox organizations posted a paltry .634 OPS.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)