Jul 5, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The 40-46 Padres, still surprisingly in the thick of things in the tight-knit NL West at 4.5 games behind, will get a boost in the lineup tonight as Everth Cabrera returns from the disabled list, per the team’s official Twitter. In a related move, 23-year-old right-hander Burch Smith, sitting on an 11.37 ERA in 12.2 innings, was optioned to Triple-A Tuscon.
Cabrera, putting up All-Star-caliber numbers, was sidelined since June 17 with a strained left hamstring. Until the injury, he had posted a .305/.382/.418 line with 31 stolen bases in 38 attempts. FanGraphs still has him as the most valuable shortstop in baseball at 3.6 Wins Above Replacement, a hair above Jean Segura at 3.5. In Cabrera’s absence, the Padres relied on Pedro Ciriaco at shortstop, but the former member of the Pirates and Red Sox organizations posted a paltry .634 OPS.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)