Jul 5, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Rueben Amaro uses a term for Ryan Howard that I’ve used only for trolling purposes: “platoon:”
“If Ryan Howard is now relegated to being a platoon player, he’s a very expensive platoon player and he needs to be better,” Amaro said. “I think he knows it. I know he’s struggling, I know he’s not happy with his performance — neither are we. I think he’s going to be better, but right now, he’s just not doing the job.”
No. But the guy who is quoted here is the one who decided that he was worth $75m for 2015-2017, plus a $10m buyout for 2018.
Amaro also notes that if the Phillies don’t make a dramatic move during their upcoming ten-game stretch against the Nationals and Braves, it’s selling time.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42