Jul 5, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Rueben Amaro uses a term for Ryan Howard that I’ve used only for trolling purposes: “platoon:”
“If Ryan Howard is now relegated to being a platoon player, he’s a very expensive platoon player and he needs to be better,” Amaro said. “I think he knows it. I know he’s struggling, I know he’s not happy with his performance — neither are we. I think he’s going to be better, but right now, he’s just not doing the job.”
No. But the guy who is quoted here is the one who decided that he was worth $75m for 2015-2017, plus a $10m buyout for 2018.
Amaro also notes that if the Phillies don’t make a dramatic move during their upcoming ten-game stretch against the Nationals and Braves, it’s selling time.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 27
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)