Jul 5, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Per Eduardo Encino of the Baltimore Sun, the Cubs wanted middle infielder Jonathan Schoop and left-handed pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez from the Orioles for starter Matt Garza. Schoop rated as the organization’s #3 prospect and Rodriguez #5 according to Baseball America at the end of October last year.
Garza missed about nine starts to begin the 2013 season due to a strained right latissimus dorsi. Since making his season debut on May 21, however, he has pitched quite well, posting a 3.45 ERA over 57.1 innings. The Cubs, however, are 15.5 games out of first place and Garza is a free agent after the season, making it very likely that the right-hander is wearing a different uniform before the trade deadline on July 31. The Orioles, at 48-38, are only 4.5 games out of first place in the AL East and are otherwise in a good spot to make a run at one of the two Wild Card spots. Their starting rotation is in need of an upgrade as five of ten pitchers to have made at least five starts this season have posted a 5.00 ERA or worse.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)